The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas,

I haven't been here in years. I hope y'all doing well.

Long story short my hobby evolved into small scale fish farming, possibly aquaponics this spring....

Anyway, here is the question:
I own a reverse osmosis system. I decided to test a berkey filter. Why does the RO water I run thru a berkey filter comes out with more TDS than the RO?

I bought the berkey, set it up primed the elements, run 80TDS tap water thru and I read 280tds the first time, then 125, 108, 90, 80, 90...
Like nothing happened, then I decided to try with RO at 5ppm, and after the berkey filter it read 90TDS.

What am I missing here, me no understando?

Thanks

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
According to the Berkey website, "The media within the elements remove contaminants by a surface phenomenon known as “adsorption” which results from the molecular attraction of substances to the surface of the media. The exclusive purification elements are also impregnated with proprietary “absorbing” media that promote IONIC “absorption” of pollutants within the micro-porous elements. "

How Berkey Works

My interpretation is the media initially adsorbs various inorganic ions and releases them. If you were to continue running 5 ppm RO water through, it would become exhausted rather quickly. Anyway, the media is designed to remove organic molecules, not inorganic ions.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the Berkey website, "The media within the elements remove contaminants by a surface phenomenon known as “adsorption” which results from the molecular attraction of substances to the surface of the media. The exclusive purification elements are also impregnated with proprietary “absorbing” media that promote IONIC “absorption” of pollutants within the micro-porous elements. "

How Berkey Works

My interpretation is the media initially adsorbs various inorganic ions and releases them. If you were to continue running 5 ppm RO water through, it would become exhausted rather quickly. Anyway, the media is designed to remove organic molecules, not inorganic ions.
Thank you, I appreciate your input.

I'm trying to test myself if it actually removes something. For instance, will it remove an inorganic toxin.

I read many tests published on their website. But, I'm trying to prove it myself, I usually don't fully trust any point of sale pitch provided by a company, and in terms of water, I though maybe I can run some experiments to see how much does this filter actually remove from any water source.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.