The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps,

Just got 6 young albino BN pleco's off aquabid recently, and I have a question about supplementing their diet with boiled veggies. So far, the only thing I've put in is a few slices of boiled zucchini, which was all gone the next day when I first tried it.

My questions are:

How long should I boil the zucchini and how long should I wait before removing uneaten leftovers? I ask this because the 2nd time I tried it, I put a few slices in before bedtime. Went to remove leftovers about 12hrs later, and it practically disintegrated, which makes me worry about water fouling.

Another question is, what other fresh veggies can I supplement them with? Maybe something that will stay together better after that long, or is 12hrs too long to leave it in there?

Thanks in advance. :icon_smil

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmm... I've always used cucumbers frozen and thawed, and let the snails and otos (I know, not BN plecos) figure it out. never fouled the water... I just left it in there. seems each species likes some specific part of the cucumber slice. That's just my experience. *shrug*

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dontcha' just love them? How big are they? I blanch my zuc in boiling water for one minute, then I flash freeze them and bag them up until later. The thing I don't particularly like about it is that it floats, so I have to rubberband it onto rocks to feed them all. My juvies are about an inch now, so I give them fresh or frozen/thawed peas, but I slit the skins so they can get to the veggie flesh. (remove the empty shells the next day)
I also give them stems of broccoli, canned green beans, occasionally they get a blanched carrot as well. I give them an algae tab once in a while, or a ken's fish veggie stick, but they seem to prefer fresh veggies.

As for the water fouling, it does IME. I remove the zuc after 24 hours, and the pea shells after about ten. I just yesterday moved my juvies into a bare bottomed tank because it was impossible to keep up with the waste in a sand tank. I was removing most of the substrate by the end of the week. Now they're in my plant grow out tank with lots of wood and they seem to be very happy and active.

Oh, I also give them a bloodworm cube now and then and that seems to be gone within about three hours, but I have ten juvies, so that's not surprising.

Good luck with them!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
don't worry about the veggies.. They don't foul the water like things with high protein does (fish food, dead fish etc)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can I just microwave some slices in a cup of water? Or does that do something bad compared to putting in boiling water for a minute.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
To tell you the truth I never really blanched the zucchini or cucumber when I feed them to my Plecos and it has never really stopped them from devouring it!

·
Registered
324 Posts
To tell you the truth I never really blanched the zucchini or cucumber when I feed them to my Plecos and it has never really stopped them from devouring it!
Me neither, I just cut a slice, stick a plant weight in it to hold it down and let them go to town on it.They never leave a scrap.

Just dropped this in and turned the light out(then took some sneaky pics)there wont be anything left by morning.

Mango and Nugget dont like sharing :hihi:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts