The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Plant Lover
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an AQUA UV Advantage 2000 inline 8 watt sterilizer on my 29 gallons tank. So glad I did... what did it take me decades to do this? That is a rhetorical question.

So now I am considering putting on my 20 gallon long. I could go with another AQUA UV 8 watt inline again (not really room for the HOB model). Or perhaps I could shift to a Coralife Turbo Twist 3x for the 20 long.

One disadvantage to the Aqua UV is that it uses 3/4 inch hose barbs, which meant I needed do a little plumbing hardware wrangling to transition from the 1/2 line that came off my powerhead: a 3 part connection using brass fittings, though now that I've figured this out, will be easier, it cost $14 for the three brass parts. It is also a bit more expensive than the Coralife.

Advantages to the AQUA UV: highly reviewed, reliable. I like having same brands when having more than one of a component (easier for managing replacement parts). Also, the Aqua UV is slightly smaller than the Coralife, surprising, but an advantage to me.

Your thoughts? I thought the Coralife was a lot cheaper, but it is only slight cheaper... so I am leaning toward another Aqua UV.

·
Plant Lover
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe on the regular inline AQUA UVS, perhaps the barbs are threaded. On the 2000 inline, I think they may be molded to the body. My installed one has hose clamps holding the hose, and is in place, so it would be too difficult to check. However, if I get another (my leaning), I will certainly check to see if the barbs are threaded/ can be removed. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.