The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had BGA before on a small 10 gal tank and remember treating it with Maracyn and it never came back. I am no getting some in my 50 gal and am going to treat it with that. I don't remember doing water changes during the 5 days I treated it before, but looking over some posts in here about it, I notice some people did. Are you supposed to do water changes during that period or not?

·
Registered
442 Posts
The answer to your question depends on the brand of erythromycin you choose to use.

For Maracyn, you do a 25% water change prior to treatment, then again on day 6 after treatment. Maracyn is a 5 day treatment.

Just follow the directions and do a complete course of treatment even if your tank looks better. It's important to kill ALL the BGA, not just the visible stuff.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is BGA a bacterial algea?????

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well....the directions are for the treatment of bacteria diseases in fish not the eradication of BGA in the tank soooooo not sure what is the best way to do it. Personally I didn't follow the directions when I used it and it worked very well for me. Now the main thing is to not allow the conditions that promote BGA.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it didnt grow back during the week I was using the Maracyn as it had been so hopefully that will take care of it. The other algae has been pretty good too. I think now is a good time to get some otos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.