The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use treated tap water or RO/DI water for top off?
If my tap water is hard ,and high TDS ,is it more suitable to use RO/DI ,to top off ,and little to none ,rarely ,large WC?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If your tap water is hard, high TDS it would be much better to use RO for top off.
My tap water is fairly soft (GH and KH 4-5 degrees, TDS about 280 or so) and when I JUST use that for top off the stuff builds up slowly over time.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your tap water is hard, high TDS it would be much better to use RO for top off.
My tap water is fairly soft (GH and KH 4-5 degrees, TDS about 280 or so) and when I JUST use that for top off the stuff builds up slowly over time.
Bummer ,I felt that coming....my tap water is 15-GH and 10-KH.Measured with drop tests from Tetra,several times .Water company chart says GH is around 20....oh well ...
TDS is around 400.
Should I stick to just top off then ,and avoid the classic weekly WC ?
I don't use CO2 ,nor Excel ,and I'm lightly stocked.The truth is I feel unconfortable breaking this routine ,like many others ,despite being probably the best thing for my tank.
Until now ,I would change 40 % of my water weekly ,mainly to vacuum the bottom - more vacuuming ,more water syphoned.I am stunned by some low tech/low maintenance tanks I see on this forum ,and it's hard for me to believe that the owners change water every couple of months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.