The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my Walmart won't carry any plants supplies until spring, so I went to Lowes across the street. They didn't have any Jobe's fertilizer tabs, so I got some Miracle Gro ones. On the packages they say that they contain 0.05% chelated copper. Would this be a problem for any shrimp that I might stock in the future?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well, my Walmart won't carry any plants supplies until spring, so I went to Lowes across the street. They didn't have any Jobe's fertilizer tabs, so I got some Miracle Gro ones. On the packages they say that they contain 0.05% chelated copper. Would this be a problem for any shrimp that I might stock in the future?
I think it might be and if it was me I would not use them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
According to the EPA the average tap water has 0.6ppm copper. I don't see how a fertilizer spike that's 0.05% copper is going to accumulate a water level anything near 0.6ppm. I wouldn't encourage the shrimp to eat the plant spike though.

The Plantex CSM fertilizer sold at AquariumFertilizer.com is 0.1% copper, that's double the amount you're looking at, and it's supposed to be dissolved straight into the water column. ---> http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/i...rnEdit=9&Returnitemname=&ReturnShowItemStart=

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the EPA the average tap water has 0.6ppm copper. I don't see how a fertilizer spike that's 0.05% copper is going to accumulate a water level anything near 0.6ppm. I wouldn't encourage the shrimp to eat the plant spike though.

The Plantex CSM fertilizer sold at AquariumFertilizer.com is 0.1% copper, that's double the amount you're looking at, and it's supposed to be dissolved straight into the water column. ---> http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/i...rnEdit=9&Returnitemname=&ReturnShowItemStart=
Thanks! I'll definitely use them then. I had no idea that the Plantex is 0.1% copper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.