The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the "ignorance", but....

what causes a plant to grow more dense instead of shooting straight with leaves spread apart on the stems? I'm guessing that it needs more light since there are some plants out there that will not grow tall under strong lighting. Or is it fertilizers?

My plants are healthy, and have to trim at least once a week, but notice that the moneywort and the limnophila aromatica should have more leaves.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
695 Posts
hmm Yes more lighting is one thing and if you want them to grow dense you need to plant them close together but still have light get down to the base of the plants. also you need to have a balence of co2,light, and ferts to keep your plants happy :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
You are right though in that the space between nodes on a stem can be reduced by providing more light. A plant will stretch for the light if it's not getting enough which will cause more space between "branches" where as a plant getting enough light will compact the space between them.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Does this apply for java moss as well? I'm worried my java moss carpet will end up straggly.
java moss doesn't require as much light as stems. It is unlikely to be straggly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts