The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have cherries and 'fire reds' from multiple sources and each strain produces some mature females that look just like PFRs - solid coloration, opaque darker red, stripe down the back, full colored legs, etc.

What I am curious about is how consistent PFRs are in terms of being solid red throughout the population - specifically in regards to males and juvies. Obviously they will not be as intense as mature females but it would be nice to look into the tank and have all of the shrimp be red and have it be obvious that it was in fact the highest grade type of cherry shrimp.

Will imported Taiwan Painted Fire Red cherry shrimp give me what I am looking for or do I have to constantly cull even that strain to get the great looking shrimp populations that you see when people show off thier PFR and sakura breeding tanks?

edit: I don't have a problem with the shrimp that I have but if all of them looked more like the better ones it would be worth it for me to pick up another strain/start another tank.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Maybe this will help.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/foru...-Grading-system-of-Cherry-to-Fire-Red-Shrimps

Males in most can be close to the same grade as the female down to a few grades below. Juvi's will always take time to color up, and I believe I read with the fire reds, sometimes they color up a lot more after breeding once or twice, and with any shrimp, I think you have to cull at some point. Sometimes the genes just don't line up and you get once less than the rest and you can either leave it in, sell them off, or cull. Same with dogs, breeders breed purebreds and you will get show quality and pet quality. Pet quality has some colors that's not in the breed guideline, not the proper size or height or things like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts