The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had a planted tank (a 20 gal tall) up and running for around a year now with cherry shrimp (which have done very well) and two batches of fish (…which haven’t done so well, though lessons have been learned from the experience and things are now figured out and under control). The tank is pretty heavily planted (16 different plant species, and I’ll be adding more until I achieve complete substrate coverage). The tank also has extremely hard water (my tapwater is 17dGH with a PH of around 8).

I’ve currently only got a few fish left in the tank currently (3 Gertrude’s Rainbowfish) and am looking to restock with fish have longer lifespans than Pseudomugils. I’m fine with fish that eat cherry shrimp fry (my colony is currently 30-50 shrimp and increasing every few weeks), as long as they won’t prey on adults. Ideally, I want to eventually add one “upper to middle” dwelling fish school/shoal and one “middle to lower” dwelling fish school/shoal. I’m also not interested keeping endlers or guppies because I’m don’t like how they look. I’ve done some research and think that the following fish could work, but would be interested in hearing about any experiences people have had with these fish.

Upper-Mid:
  • Danio Choprae
  • Gold Ring Danio
  • Japanese Ricefish
  • White cloud minnows (might have the tank running a bit too warm for these currently, but I'm not averse to going through the process of adjusting the tank's baseline temperature)
Mid-Lower:
  • Rosy Loach
  • Certain Cory Species? (not entirely sure which ones could work)
  • Celestial Pearl Danio
  • Emerald Dwarf Danio

I’ve also realized that that I find out about a new fish species that could work every time I do a search related to this topic, so I’d appreciate any suggestions of fish that could work in my tank.

tldr: I’m looking for fish that meet the following requirements (its OK if their not commonly available, I’m willing to go on a hunt for things if they’ll work out well for my tank):
  • Won’t eat cherry shrimp adults (eating cherry shrimp fry is fine)
  • Can handle water with PH 8 and 17 dGH
  • Can survive in a heavily planted 20 gal tall
  • Have a lifespan longer than 2 years
  • Aren’t endlers or guppies

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Looking at your list and it sounds just like mine 😅 I know rice fish have a preference for harder water parameters. My other thought was endlers then I read the rest of your post. Good luck!!

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
70 Posts
I have a small group of CPDs that im growing out, gorgeous little fish! Tho they are fish you need to be up close to the glass to really see their beauty. For an upper tank fish I really like hatchet fish, they are typically a softer water fish but ive seen people keep them in harder water just fine.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
i think you're best bet is the medaka or the wcmms, and for middle lower, the cpds and the rosy loaches. None of those fish scream "will kill adult shrimp" on my radar. I've never really gotten goldrings to thrive for me, but that could be a me problem and not a fish problem...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.