The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new to planted tanks.

I have started an Iwagumi tank with HC Cuba. I did a prolonged dry start and flooded the tank about 2 weeks ago. When I flooded I trimmed the carpet, and decreased the light from about 11 hours / day down to 6 hours/day. I am currently doing 50-60% water changes every 3 days and will decrease to twice a week starting next week.

The plants have been growing amazingly during the 2 weeks since flooding. So far, I have not started a dosing regimine. I have APT Complete from the 2 Hr Aquarist, but I have not used any.

I have not had any significant algae growth yet, but I do see a bit of green spot algae (I think it's green spot algae) here and there. For this reason, I have not yet started the fertilizer dosing regimine. I am concerned that starting it will help the algae. So far the plants are doing great and are growing like crazy.

My question is if I should start dosing with fertilizer anyway? Should I wait longer? Should I see how the plants do without dosing or will this inevitably lead to die-off of the carpet?

Information about equipment/livestock:
32 gallon tank
UN Controsoil substrate
25 neon tetras
8 nerite snails - secondary question? Is this enough for a 32gallon or should I consider more?
HC Cuba carpet
Oase Biomaster 250 cannister filter
Twinstar LED 600EC - 6 hours daily. ramping up from 1% intensity to 85% intensity over 3 hours, 1 hour at 85% intensity and ramping back down for last 2 hours
CO2 system - turns on about 5 minutes before lights and turns off when lights do - drop checker is green while lights are on.

Thank you in advance for your input!

·
Banned
628 Posts
I would proceed with the APT Complete. The fertilizer will help with the GSA. You can dose a 150 mg KH2PO4 to help with the GSA if you want to hold off on the APT Complete. Can you change your CO2 to come on an hour before the lights instead of five minutes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Start dosing next week according to package directions after each water change.

Depending on type of algae it's entirely possible to be caused by lack of fertilizer.
Thanks. I will do that.

I would proceed with the APT Complete. The fertilizer will help with the GSA. You can dose a 150 mg KH2PO4 to help with the GSA if you want to hold off on the APT Complete. Can you change your CO2 to come on an hour before the lights instead of five minutes?
Will do. I changed the CO2 to come on as you recommend. Thanks!

So far the algae seems better. I have slightly increased CO2 and also have extended the time period of CO2 injection to one hour before lights-on. I have started with the dosing regimen per the bottle. I will try to update this thread as I go as it seems that in a lot of these threads the OP fails to respond to let the community know if the suggested remedies were or were not helpful.

·
Banned
628 Posts
So far the algae seems better. I have slightly increased CO2 and also have extended the time period of CO2 injection to one hour before lights-on. I have started with the dosing regimen per the bottle. I will try to update this thread as I go as it seems that in a lot of these threads the OP fails to respond to let the community know if the suggested remedies were or were not helpful.
Well that's a thoughtful thought. How are we supposed to learn without a response back from the OP? They just take the advice and run. If you start a thread, you sort of have to host it and politely let it run its course sometimes assuming the role of a group therapist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update to share a couple pics, a little bit of hair algae (I think) and some blue green (by the looks of it) algae, but seems manageable. Going to just stay the course for the time being. Really like the triangular light/shadow patterns cast in the corner behind the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

About 2-3 weeks ago the hair algae started getting pretty bad. It was really growing on the HC carpet. This was after bumping up the CO2 as suggested above and turning it on 1 hour before the lights go on.

Since then, I moved the light period down to 5 hours per day and I also cut the intensity to ramp from 1% to a maximum of 35% (down from a max of 85% previously - pretty drastic, I know!). I also did manual removal of as much hair algae as I could during each water change (doing water changes about every 6 days. Ideally I would do 2x per week, but life has been busy).

Anyway, the hair algae has really slowed down and is hopefully dying off. I would estimate that I have seen about a 75% decrease in the hair algae. I think cutting the lighting intensity plus the manual removal is having the biggest effect, but I've listed all the things I have changed above.

I will note that the HC carpet is no longer pearling, but it still looks happy. I suspect that the plants are struggling a bit with the lower light, but that the hair algae is struggling more and is being out-competed by the plants.

I am hopeful that the hair algae will be gone in another couple of weeks. If so, I plan to gradually increase the lighting intensity (but probably maxing it out at 50-60%) and hopefully one day increasing the photoperiod to 6-7 hours (to have more time to enjoy the tank).

Just wanted to give an update in case this can be helpful to anyone that is struggling with hair algae.

Cheers to all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Danh,

Unfortunately not. Still having the hair algae issue. I have been doing weekly water changes and have been doing as much manual removal of the hair algae as I can during the water changes. I still have the lights at 5 hours per day, but have bumped up the intensity a bit because the HC cuba was starting to suffer. Still on the same fert regime.

Last week I introduced some Amano shrimp to help keep the hair algae under control. They are very small (ant sized) and I can't tell how many of them have survived since they hide so much when the lights are on (I have never been able to spot more than 3 at a time). I may get some bigger amano if the local fish store gets some in stock. I hope that will help keep things in equilibrium, because weekly water changes with a lot of time spent removing hair algae is more maintenance than I had hoped for.

Hope you are able to have better luck if you are having the same problem!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.