The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare metal petco stand for a 40 breeder tank. I was just wondering would it be possible to put a 38 gallon tank on it? They're both 36 inches and around the same size, but obviously the 38 gallon is 12 inches in width, as compared to 18. This would save me almost a hundred bucks.

I was thinking about having some wood boards cut up and putting it on top of the stand to make it more level. Would this work?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Aquariums are mostly supported on the ends. I go to a shop where the owner
litterally scares me with the way one of his tanks is set up.
It is a 125g tank and is on a wall that just happens to be just over that in width.
On each end he has two 2 x 6" boars running virtical spaced wide as the tank from
the back edge of the back one to the fromt edge of the front one.
Now these boards are held against the ends of the tank by the walls on each end.
Under each end...believe it or not...he cut two 2 x 6" boards that go from front to
back under and along each end of the tank and are held there by screws and glue.
The 2 x 6" boards have nothing under them. The screws and glue are the only thing holding up 1200lbs of tank. I will go and take a picture of it if anyone doubts me.
But for your tank...is that a "Brooklyn" stand ?
Want to be able to feel 100% safe with the tank ? Build a box to put on top of the stand like this. It will also raise the tank to where it will be eye level if you are sitting in a chair in front of it.
Buy a sheet of 3/4 ply wood. Cut in two rectangles that fit the top of the frame.
Put either 2 x 4" or 2 x 6" boards between them/w screws. Paint to suit yourself.
Put that box on top of the stand and then the tank on top of it.
The 2 x 4" or 2 x 6" are virtical...on their side edge.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Throw a piece of 3/4 plywood on the stand (plywood is same size as the top of stand) and put your tank on it. it will hold fine without 2x anything.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I've got a 75 on a metal stand with a 40B below it. No plywood, nothing. Right on the stand. No problems. I recommend the plywood for the top so you have a spot for putting stuff down not necessarily for tank support

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.