The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just set up my 58 gallon tank with 60 pounds of Tahitian Moon Sand. It looks like I need to add about another 20 pounds. The top of the tank to the sand is 19-20". I'm running a Marineland C360 canister filter.

I want to keep crypts, pennywort, mosses, a tiger lily, and java fern. At this point I don't want to add CO2.

I've read a lot on here lately, the wife is getting aggravated because I'm staying up too late. It seems some people say to just run sand and dose fertilizers because the substrate will eventually give out anyway. A lot of people though recommend starting out with something like flourite or eco-complete. I figured at first I'd just go with the sand and fertilize a little.

1. Should I just buy another bad of Moon sand or should I add in something like a bag of Flourite sand?

2. According to the lighting chart, a double T5no will put me at low light. If I add another double T5NO what would I be up to? Would both be too much without CO2? How many hours should I run 1 or 2 light sets?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two T5NO lights, spaced 6 inches or so apart, should give you more uniform lighting, but not so much higher that you would have to use CO2.
Do you mean two doubles or singles?

Thanks for the help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.