The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Plant community Vertebrate Rectangle Leaf
This is my 10g betta/wcm tank. I have rottal,ludwigia, water wisteria, dwarf sag and pygmy chain swords planted. I use DIY co2, 2x 10w cfl and liquid fertilizer from pet co (I plan on ordering some dry fertz soon). I trimmed every thing back three weeks ago so it is still kinda growing back in. My main question is, if I keep trimming the rottala back will it become bushier? Any other advice/criticism/suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
From my own experience, rotala never got bushier like wisteria does. When I cut it, it just continued to grow up. In order to get the bushy look you should group them together. If that is what you are looking for just take the cuttings and replant them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Strange, I planted a group of about 8 stems which have now branched out into atleast 15 tops, every few inches a new stem sprouted off. From what I've read your first trimming should be low, and each consecutive trim slightly higher to allow it sprout side shoots and spread out. I haven't trimmed mine at all really and it's done it by itself. I'm dosing co2 and ei ferts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Here is a great link to bushing out your plants.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/57960-pruning-timeline.html

Just make your cuts a few nodes higher than the last, and in no time it will start to bush out thick. Replant the trimmings with the rest of the bush to make it even more dense. Rotala Rotundifolia 'red' and 'green' are great at doing this. So is Pogostemon erectus, started out with 4 stems of the erectus, now I have 20+ between two tanks lol,and only in a couple months.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on. Thanks I had cut the stems back pretty short thinking I would trim again. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input so far and for the link too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Right on. Thanks I had cut the stems back pretty short thinking I would trim again. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input so far and for the link too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
not a problem, the one thing someone told me, stems LOVE to be trimmed lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.