The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the Seattle area, and looking ahead to a potential rescape of my 22 gallon long. I have a 20 gallon planted patio pond outside that I would like to use as a holding tank while I take apart the tank, work on hardscape, plant, and re-cycle the tank. Average highs in Seattle in July and August (when I'm planning on doing this) are 79 degrees and average lows are 59 degrees. I'm not very concerned about how the cherry shrimp will do since they're pretty durable, but has anyone here kept embers and cories in a patio pond for about a month or so? Is there anything I need to be aware of or watch out for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I'm in the Seattle area, and looking ahead to a potential rescape of my 22 gallon long. I have a 20 gallon planted patio pond outside that I would like to use as a holding tank while I take apart the tank, work on hardscape, plant, and re-cycle the tank. Average highs in Seattle in July and August (when I'm planning on doing this) are 79 degrees and average lows are 59 degrees. I'm not very concerned about how the cherry shrimp will do since they're pretty durable, but has anyone here kept embers and cories in a patio pond for about a month or so? Is there anything I need to be aware of or watch out for?

Thanks!
I haven't but Aquapros on youtube lives somewhere up your way and put cherry barbs in an outdoor pond that was enclosed in a greenhouse. I believe none survived. I wouldn't consider it unless you are planning to heat it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't but Aquapros on youtube lives somewhere up your way and put cherry barbs in an outdoor pond that was enclosed in a greenhouse. I believe none survived. I wouldn't consider it unless you are planning to heat it.
Yeah, I believe he is in the PNW. I'll have to look in to it because I believe we have a similar climate. Funnily enough I was trying to look him up and on his website one of the fish he recommends for patio ponds is cherry barbs. Do you know by chance why his didn't survive?

If the water temp gets to 59 there will be an issue.
I need to monitor the temperature better but the water temp almost surely won't get as hot as the day's high or as cold as the day's low. Still, I'll have to see what kind of swing it gets relative to outside temperature.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Yeah, I believe he is in the PNW. I'll have to look in to it because I believe we have a similar climate. Funnily enough I was trying to look him up and on his website one of the fish he recommends for patio ponds is cherry barbs. Do you know by chance why his didn't survive?
I don't, he mentioned it really casually in one of his videos, basically just said they didn't do well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I personally would just put them in tote from Wal-Mart or a Home improvement store and keep them indoors. There are species of Corydora that could tolerate low temperatures seasonally but don't think a specie like Pygmaeus could tolerate the low 59° temperature.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I would possibly attempt it in a larger pond but 20 gallons outdoors isn't much volume and has to see some pretty good temperature swings. I'd go with LTom's advise and put them in a tote. Fish don't need to see out.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Seems like it's a lot of nos based off of temperature. My question, is are you willing to chuck a heater in there to keep the water warm for therm.

I haven't tried pygmy corys where I am, but remember that water temperature tends to be a bit more stable than air temperature. If you have access to a fancy thermometer that can time stamp temperatures, it might be useful to fill up the pond with water and see how temperatures fluctuate in the water.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like the general consensus is a no. I have a 12 gallon with an unfriendly betta in there, I'll just jar him temporarily and move all the fish and shrimp over to his crib when the time comes. Thanks for the input everyone!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a 110 gallon stock tank that I use for a pond. I have had several species of Cory's, dwarf cichlids, and Black Bar Endlers in them. I have kept them out until the end of October or early November but just put a 300 watt heater in and they were good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.