The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read previous threads of people using polyfil as a substitute for the fine white pad in their Eheims. I went to Wal-Mart tonight and found 2 types of poly-fil: traditional batting and Nu-foam. I wasn't sure which was the right one. What do you guys use?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Myself, I use polyfil. I'm not familiar with Nu-foam. Just be sure that it's 100% polyester and not the "flame retardant" type, which is specially treated. That type is not aquarium friendly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, the packaging is not entirely helpful. I got the Poly-fil brand product.

Here is the traditional batting that I picked up:
http://www.poly-fil.com/batting.asp

The packaging says it is 100% premium polyester and flame retardant (doesn't necessarily mean it is treated with a flame retardant, does it?)

Here is the Nu-form that I didn't get:
http://www.poly-fil.com/nufoam.asp

It also says it is 100% polyester and is flame retardant.

Any advice - does this stuff look like the stuff that you guys are using? Maybe they're both wrong...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The "flame retardant" type is sold to stuff infant toys. It's treated specifically to be safe for children. The 100% polyester fiber fil that is not treated will burn like a cotton ball in the wind...but that's what you want to use in your tank.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My bad, I edited it to say one was not trading with Wallmart, always a good thing IMO.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I wouldn't use ANY poly fill not made specifically for aquariums. It usually contains chemicals. I posted about it before but can't remember what's on it that's bad.

Tommy

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
BORG?

I stuff my filters with polyester floss. 20 square feet is about $10 at Big Al's.
Ditto. Big Al's stuff is perfect for canister filters. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18430/si1382113/cl0/bigalsfilterfloss20sqft The photo makes it look like a big blob of cotton, but it is actually a roll of material almost identical to that of Eheim white pads. It is simple to cut to size. A rol of this stuff will equate to 20-40 Eheim pads (depending on model).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot everyone for your sage advice! I'm going to return this potentially hazardous crap I got and get some legit stuff from either BAs or Drs F&S (haven't decided which one yet - leaning towards the filter floss at BAs at the moment, to try to get crystal clear water)

One question that's been nagging at me for a while - for the Eheim classics (and maybe for the others as well), what is the rationale for putting the fine filter pad after all the biological filtration media? Wouldn't you want the fine filter pad before to prevent debris from clogging up the biological media? I do realize that there are the ceramic rings and then the coarse filter pad before, but just wondering why the fine pad comes after?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It is basically the final stage of water polishing - for the finest stuff that gets through a layer of noodles/sintered glass, next the course filter, then more sintered glass, followed by the fine foam. The water comes up from the bottom to the top on the Pros and I think on the classics too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Walmart Polyfil

Do not use polyfil in aquarium I used the Polyfil from Walmart worked great and after using one large bad about 2 month my fish are now very sick. Only use aquarium fill for aquariums.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dont use it Walmart Polyfill is recycled poly and treated with chemicals in the recycling process my fish got sick from it, very bad stuff

WalMart sells different types of poly fill. Some have siliconized poly fibers and some have flame retardant chemicals. You want to use the one without flame retardant and or siliconized poly fibers. This is the one you want to use https://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-Premium-Polyester-Fiberfill-12oz/26678911. I have been using it for years without issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.