The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the standard Flourescent light bulb in an office qualify as low light or do I still need a dedicated light source for the tank? I have got some Needle Leaf Java, Anubias nana, Narrow leaf micro swords, some crypts and java moss. The tank is a ADA 60F.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Plants and Light Question

Hello old...

A flourescent bulb is fine, but you'll need one for growing aquatic plants. You need a 6500 K, 32 watt bulb. A T8 is preferable, but a T12, 40 watt will work if that's all you can get. These are available at the local hardware stores for just a few dollars. This will be enough light if you stick with low light plants. The ones on your list are fine. The Micro sword may require a little more light.

B

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is your desk by a window? I have a 2.5 gallon jar growing one anubius for almost 2 years now, in a sun room, with a skylight 20 feet above it and a wall of glass 5 feet behind it. It has gone from 3 leaves to over 15 leaves. You might get away with it if you have a window nearby and only plant anubius and java fern.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.