The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been having a problem with BBA and everything I read relates to this being not enough CO2 in relation to the amount of light in one's tank. However I find my leopard bushfish is breathing quite heavily and don't dare turn it up anymore then it is (drop checkers are green). I do however wonder if this is more of an O2 issue. I've been told to make sure there's some surface agitation to help with this, but exactly how much agitation should there be? I have my filter output pointing upwards to agitate the surface but should this be subtle or fairly strong? Also, because I have giant danios in my tank (jumpers), I have glass tops and on the back i have clear plastic covering the open area (for filters, etc) except for 2 small areas that the filter's intake and output hoses go, is this a problem? Would this affect O2 since there's very little open area to the tank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes the covers definetly affect o2 exchange. You can try propping your covers up on one side so that air can get in or removing/poking holes in you plastic. You should have a decent amount of surface water swirling just no splashing.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
if you have an open spot on the cover. with good surface agitation your 02 exchange will be fine.. if it was a closed system you might have a problem but... i highly doubt its well sealed.
to put your mind at ease. grab a bubble stone and air pump. it will produce good surface agitation and provide the air in the sealed chamber necessary for the agitation to work :) simple and easy fix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts