The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this sponge filter and I was wondering if it was good enough for my Red Cherry Shrimp...

I can't seem to find any reviews on it using Google. So I was wondering if you guys had any input (like if any sponge filter is good or if I require a better one).

My Filter = Elite Sponge Filter

http://www.petdiscounters.com/Elite-Sponge-Filter_p_15026.html
^ details are inside

and ALSO when do you need to replace the sponge for your filter?

and will I ever need to replace the carbon filter insert? (I usually only see sponge inserts on sale)

·
Registered
611 Posts
One of the great things about sponge filters is you don't have to replace cartridges, a quick rinsing and your good to go.
That filter is more of a mechanical that your replacing cartridges and loosing a lot of your beneficial bacteria every time you replace them. If you replace just one at a time you would probably be alright, but you will probably get small swings in your water quality.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How large is your tank?

It'll likely suffice for the time being but I'd ditch the carbon and go with full foam/sponge.

Great sponge filters are super-cheap. You can get a double-sponge filter with an adjustable riser for $2-$3US shipped to Canada from fleabay.
My tank is a 5.5 gallon

For the time being is it okay? (Should I get a different filter in the future?)

When should I upgrade my filter? Is it dependent on when my RCS population hits a certain number?

At the moment I'm housing about 5 adult shrimp and about 25 baby shrimp.

and does anyone have any recommendations for a sponge filter that suits a 5.5 gal tank? (IF I need to change options)

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
My tank is a 5.5 gallon

For the time being is it okay? (Should I get a different filter in the future?)

When should I upgrade my filter? Is it dependent on when my RCS population hits a certain number?

At the moment I'm housing about 5 adult shrimp and about 25 baby shrimp.

and does anyone have any recommendations for a sponge filter that suits a 5.5 gal tank? (IF I need to change options)
The most shrimp you would want in a 5.5 would be ~50. At that point you would notice that the adults would not reach their full length of ~1in. Generally, you would want a filter equal to or a bit larger than your tank size to keep the water extra clean. In my 10 gallon I use a HOB filter rated for up to 30 gallons. A power filter should be fine for your shrimp as long as you cover the intake with panty hose, mesh, or a sponge. Then, as others said, make sure you don't clean out both the HOB filter and the sponge cover at the same time or you risk throwing your tank into a mini cycle.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My advice is to overfilter. It's probably okay for a small tank like yours, but I've never seen it before. Lustars/Hydros are a proven design. I'd get at least a filter for a 15G.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
My 5.5gal has a Aquaclear 20 plus a 2nd-to-largest size Hydro sponge filter. which is rated for like 55gal or something, so 75gal of filtration for a 5.5gal. lol. Overfiltration doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It will be fine. I'd go with the other suggestions to replace the carbon insert with another sponge, but honestly, these shrimp don't produce much in the way of waste, even in fairly large numbers, and it's not a big tank. If the tank is planted it requires even less filtration. It's true that overfiltering doesn't hurt anything, but it doesn't really do any good either.

I don't know how that particular unit is set up, but odds are very good that you can use the body of that one and replace one or both filter pads with foam for a canister filter, cut to size, or perhaps just use two of the hagen foam pads. Once a week (or month or whatever winds up being required) switch the placement of the two pads and wash the one that receives the water first. That will keep the filter from being cleaned too much and losing a significant fraction of its bacteria. You would only replace the foam once the structure of the thing breaks down and it cannot be rinsed effectively.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I like having the sponge and the HOB because then I can clean the sponge filter really good (I like to powerblast them and not just rinse) and leave the HOB and not kill all my bacteria. Plus the HOB I can put in floss/purigen/whatever I want with the Aquaclears.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My advice is to overfilter. It's probably okay for a small tank like yours, but I've never seen it before. Lustars/Hydros are a proven design. I'd get at least a filter for a 15G.
Okay I'll show you guys a pic of my tank :)

To your left you have a forest of Java Moss

In the middle you have a cute looking Marimo Ball

To your right you have your typical heater (heats water up to 78F) and the filter I was talking about

I removed that white sushi dish so its just gravel now & that black stick is a chopstick I use to stab a blanched carrot or cucumber for the Shrimp.

Feel free to comment on my tank. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My 5.5gal has a Aquaclear 20 plus a 2nd-to-largest size Hydro sponge filter. which is rated for like 55gal or something, so 75gal of filtration for a 5.5gal. lol. Overfiltration doesn't hurt anything.
LOL! 1/2 of your tank is a filter and the other 1/2 is either intake or output... Where do your 3 shrimp hide? LMAO! IJK

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL! 1/2 of your tank is a filter and the other 1/2 is either intake or output... Where do your 3 shrimp hide? LMAO! IJK
I want to see pics if that is true about his/her tank lol...

and any comments on what I posted before? is the filter good for my tank set up?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
lol. HOB filter doesn't take anything except a pipe coming in and all shrimp love a sponge filter to hang out and eat from. I have 14 wild tigers in there right now, although everyone is getting a moving around soon as I just got a 20gal setup, just have to let the netlea soil leech out its ammonia and then I can rearrange everyone. I'll probably keep the 5.5 for selective breeding some of my crystals or something.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Feel free to comment on my tank. Thanks for the replies guys.
Well, it's not going to win any aquascaping contests (neither are mine) but it looks like a place that shrimp would be happy to live in. The temp is fine for cherries and again, as long as that filter is maintained so that water moves through it, and the population of shrimp doesn't go completely insane, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it's not going to win any aquascaping contests (neither are mine) but it looks like a place that shrimp would be happy to live in. The temp is fine for cherries and again, as long as that filter is maintained so that water moves through it, and the population of shrimp doesn't go completely insane, you'll be fine.
yeah haha it could never win ANY aquascaping contest. I can live with that XD

It's all good since this is my first aquarium tank I've ever gotten. And I'm happy that you think that it looks like a place the shrimp would be happy to live in, so thank you!

Good environment over looks is what I'm currently aimming for to breed the RCS... I'll work on its looks after I'm happy with breeding a good amount of shrimp.

anyways, I guess i'll consider upgrading my filter if my population of RCS hits a high number.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.