The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a new fluval 405. It was installed yesterday, it works quite. The only thing that is bothering me is that sometimes shoots out a bunch of air bubbles like they were building up. Sometimes it does this every other minute or sometimes longer. Also when it shoots the bubbles out, i can even hear a noise from the base of the system. I just want to figure out if its normal or not.

thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
From the experience that I have had with mine, its normal. Doesn't mean that your 100% ok though.

If it happens for less than an hour after setting up, and cleaning, more then likely you are ok. What happens is the air bubbles get "stuck" to all the filter media, and will gradually release. Once the filter had been running for an hour or so it will become very rare. Mine does it only when I bump it at this point.

Where you should be concerned is if it is constantly blowing out bubbles, for hours and hours after setup/cleaning. This could mean you have a leak.

If you think you have a leak. Check;
The o-ring between the Head of the filter and the canister.
You filter intake tube, (it its close to the top of the water you may be sucking in air)
Check and make sure your seals are intact in the cutoff area between the pipe and the filter(the plug thing)
Make sure your tube isn’t cut, a small hole might not leak, but will take in air.

I'm pretty sure that your just experiencing the trapped bubbles coming out.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.