The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator for my 10 gal shrimp tank. I dont like the nylon washer and brass 'connector configuation. It seems as if none of the perma-seals will work with the MA957. I went to get a brass CGA connector (like on a welders set-up) but the connector pipe on the regulator is threaded on the inside and this is not standard to the CGA connector. I really dont want to use a new nylon washer each time I have to put the regulator back on to the tank.
What do you othe Milwaukee owners use?

.......also this regulator is a PITA to set up and keep consistent......

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The connection to a CO2 tank is CGA320, for all US CO2 tanks. They differ only by whether the flat faces have a groove in them or not, and whether the tank has a small internal thread or not. With that groove a permaseal doesn't work. And, without the threaded hole you can't screw in a metal permaseal. But, on all of them you can use a sealing washer, either a nylon type material or a thin fiber washer. I reused my nylon washers several times before replacing them, without having any leakage. But, you do have to tighten the nut that holds the regulator to the tank with a big wrench to get it to compress that washer a bit, or it won't seal. Hard fiber washers don't compress hardly at all, but still have to be tightened very tight to prevent leakage. Unless you are a 250 pound, well muscled person, you probably can't over tighten that connection.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wanted a connector like the one in the link (link showing for type of tip only)except with a female nut. I dont believe what I am looking for will thread into the regulator as the regulator appears to have a male tap and not female as on my MedTech regulator.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
What you are looking at will not attach to a standard CO2 bottle.

As Hoppy stated, you need a stem with a CGA320 fitting. That would be the female attachment you have mentioned.

·
Registered
712 Posts
it's also recommended to replace the fiber or nylon washer every time you reconnect the regulator to the tank. if it's deformed at all plastically or there's any sort of creep, you don't want to use it. we are talking about a part that's typically given away free for each tank refill or can be picked up for 10 to 20 cents each. i don't understand the rationale for not replacing them? to save 15 cents?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I ask for one when I get a refill and they always give me 2-6 fiber washers each time.

SteveU

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What you are looking at will not attach to a standard CO2 bottle.

As Hoppy stated, you need a stem with a CGA320 fitting. That would be the female attachment you have mentioned.
I know as I stated it was not the correct connector nut but the tip is what I want. However, the opposite end is not the same as on the Milwaukee either.

This is another type of tip (in the link below) (it is not shown correctly as it has a hose barb fitting instead of a threaded fitting). They make them for CO2. No gasket required.
http://www.airgas.com/browse/product.aspx?Msg=RecID&recIds=30944&WT.svl=30944

·
Registered
884 Posts
Your idea won't work newt. There has to be a connection to the Co2 bottle capable of withstanding 2000psi while the working pressure of Co2 is about 900psi.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been using one for 9 years on my 75. Threaded one one end into the regulator and the 'bulb' type connector on the other where the connector nut is a female type to go onto the male type connector on the CO2 bottle.

As I said the link does not showthe correct type pipe but the bulb end style I'm looking for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go to a welders supply shop. You should be able to get the threaded end with the bulb stylenat the other. However, I dont believe the MA957 is CGA style connections. I also dont know if you will need and adapter to to thread the new bottle hook up to the regulator. It does not appear to be a male to female (on regulator) on the MA957.

Perhaps some one here has removed this piece and can tell you what style and size it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts