The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making an open top breeder box out of a rectangular plastic storage container (see pic below). In theory, if I drilled holes in the container, the container would still float while the water line would be at the same level as the holes, correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
You will need the "lip" of the container to retain an air pocket so it floats.
Personally I would use a net type of breeder box and attach it via magnets or something.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need the "lip" of the container to retain an air pocket so it floats.
Personally I would use a net type of breeder box and attach it via magnets or something.
I'm sure I could rig the container to float, but would that really be necessary if the water line can't rise above the holes in the container?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
IMO you'd get so little water circulation through those holes that you might as well not bother putting the box in the tank.

+1 for net of some sort, or you could try fiberglass screen (the kind used for screened doors/windows)

Or you could sew together some plastic craft mesh using monofilament line- that would allow you to sew on a lid as well as avoid needing to build some sort of frame so it would hold shape

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO you'd get so little water circulation through those holes that you might as well not bother putting the box in the tank.

+1 for net of some sort, or you could try fiberglass screen (the kind used for screened doors/windows)

Or you could sew together some plastic craft mesh using monofilament line- that would allow you to sew on a lid as well as avoid needing to build some sort of frame so it would hold shape
I have a very strong HOB filter, so I'm sure the container would get a decent amount of circulation. Ultimately, I just want to know if put a series of holes all along the sides of the container will keep the water from rising above the level of those holes. I guess I could always give it a whirl with a smaller container and see how that works.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Oh, I missed that part of your question.

I'm going to say no, since the lids on those sterilites are not water tight.

(I still say the inside of the box is not going to get enough circulation. I'd worry about ammonia buildup)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.