The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to say that I stumbbled upon this forum today, i'm not getting to much work done today. Any way my question is that I have a 47 gallon Column tank. 20L x 18W x 30H.

I know this is not the best tank for growing plants but it was the only thing that fit. I would like to know what lighting would be best suited. Right now i have 3 standard 10g light 15 watts each.

I have made a canopy and would like to get the 20" Coralife Aqualight the 96 watt quad version. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Cadman! Pendant MH lights have never appealed to me, but for the type of tank you have, a pendant MH light should be ideal. Thirty inches of water is a lot for light to penetrate, and a light which is focused into a columnar beam should work great there. A conventional PC light spreads the light a lot more, so with the 30 inch height a lot of the light would leave the tank thru the glass before reaching the bottom.

How will you be able to reach down into that tank to plant it? I found I could barely plant a 24 inch deep tank, and couldn't reach all parts of the bottom due to the length of my arms. The extra 6 inches would be a killer for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast responses. I haven't looked at the MH lights too much but i will research further.

The 30" depth is a pain to reach the bottom, I just get out my scuba mask and go swimming. Actually I can just reach if i stand on a chair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts