The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10 gallon tank that I would love to setup as a Java Fern only tank with some driftwood and add some shrimp to it (want this to be a shrimp breeding tank).....what I am wondering is, can I get away with only using the [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty light hood that I got with the tank....I think its an incandescent bulb....the tank does get some indirect sun (tank is the in the basement so it is very low light). I am wondering the following

1) Can I get away with setting this tank up like so?
2) do I need to inject CO2?
3) do I need to follow any type of fertilizing regime with the java ferns
4) any other suggestions :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Java ferns are slow growers and will do well in a low light tank. You don't need CO2 or ferts, but they certainly will help. IME when java fern gets too much light it can quickly grow BBA.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so when he says 6500k....if the light says "daylight" on it....am i in the right ballpark...none of the lights here in Canada...well thats I have been able to see have the 6500k marking

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also, does the substrate matter when planting a full tank of javaferns? I was thinlking of going with 1 bag of the Shrimp Fluval Stratum (as I am adding shrimp to this tank)

·
Registered
745 Posts
wouldnt use expensive substrate ...either sand or plain gravel ...J ferns are leaf feeders
...why not make it a moss only tank? seems better suited for a shrimp breeding tank, still lowlight and shrimp love it

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I used two of those screw in compact fluorescent bulbs over a 10 gallon tank and the JF grew really well. You don't need any substrate with JF as it grows best attached to wood or stone so the stuff you are planning to get is just fine. Since I also had a big tank that was dosed with dry ferts I did dose the little tank with a pinch of this and that but don't know if it was essential. I suspect I didn't need the larger bulbs and they didn't fit well, I had to prop up the hood so they cleared the top of the tank. Do look for daylight bulbs as the appearance is more natural and colors pop very well.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd change out the incandescent for 6500K CFLs. But as tuffgong said java fern is an excellent low light plant, hardy, and not very demanding.

Good choice for a one plant type only tank.
Only one of my lights in the existing hood is working...the actual socket is broken so no lights will work. I have two options....either 1 9w compact fluorescent light or one 13W compact fluorescent light.....thoughts?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
get the 13 watt, d a mix of moss and java fern, the fern will add some pizazz to the tank while the moss wil help culture free food for the shrimp and provide cover should they feel they need it, you can tie the moss to screening material and weigh the mesh down with the moss on the under side
it will eventually grow into a dome like or fluffy pillow and it looks awesome if you keep it tidy, as far as java fern tie it to drift wood and it will be fine with very little light and co2 will only help with lowering ph and a little more growth just be careful how much you use if at all. i'd replace your hood with a glass cover and 1 desk lamp with a 13+ watt cfl, daylight is fine the temp doesnt really matter as long as it isn't something like actinic which is only the blue part of the spectrum, your plants will adapt to any temp. you can use gravel or sand or even fluval stratum if you want softer water and the nice look

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
yeah pretty much, one of the goosenecks, just have the base of the lamp behind or next to the tank and have the bulb aimed at the tank at an angle will add a dramatic look to it as well as not light it too intensely. have seen several tanks at my club like this and i like them, all are shrimp tanks. the lamps doesn't need to be on the tank itself =p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.