The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to growing some Eleocharis Parvula (hair grass) clumps in a 5G hex. Its a shallow water set up for now as I want the hair grass to propagate first. The substrate is organic top soil capped with T grade Color Quartz and Laguna pond plant stakes buried in the substrate. The light is a 10W PC screw in and it's on 24hrs. The water is less than a 1/2" above the substrate. Do I need to add Co2 via Florish Excel now. should I add other liquid fertilizers? What should my dosing amounts be? I also have dry fertilizers if they will work better. Just please suggest dosing amounts. I use measuring spoons.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you want the hairgrass to propagate with a dry start, just drain out enough water to keep the substrate saturated. In my experience, adding CO2 isn't necessary since the plants will be able to take in atmospheric CO2. You can add some nitrogen if BGA starts to appear.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I tried DHG in my daughters 5 gallon hex with a 10 watt PC, it hasn't done very well. Just collected algae, but hasn't died. I think it needs more light and co2 would probably help.
I planted a mat of it in my 55 gallon when I first started it, it has high light and no co2 but I do dose excel as recommended on bottle. It does well in that tank but spreads extremely slowly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts