The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden, I can't seem to get any of my glass diffusers to work. It is very odd. During each bottle change, I put a little bleach on the disc to clean it.

I have switched CO2 bottles in case one was leaking and still nothing getting into the tank.

I'm just curious, If you were to blow into one...would that be enough pressure to test it out? I just tried one and it felt like I was going to blow up the tube like a balloon.

I'm a little baffled on this.

Any thoughts...clues?

I'm thinking about making new reactor bottles out of pvc pipe. That should work better than the plastic bottles if somehow they have developed an issue. I wouldn't have to put anything on the threads would I?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If i remember right, my diy co2 wont build up enough pressure till later in the night if i made it in the morning. Could be clogged?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I just hooked up an air pump that I run on a 10g tank to two different diffusers. Neither one of them pushed air out. I can't believe that all my diffusers stopped working at the same time.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...just did more testing.

I hooked one diffuser to a bigger air pump rated for a 30g tank. Nothing.

I then ran a test with my air compressor. Built pressure up to 40psi. Blew through one of the diffusers just fine. Backed it down to 30, 20, 10 and nearly 0. At all stages air went through.

I then took and hooked it back up to the smaller air pump...nothing. The bigger air pump...nothing.

So..my conclusions for this test is that the air pumps put out nothing in terms of pressure.

Hmmmmm....not sure where to go from here. So I am recharging one of the CO2 bottles and going to hook up the diffuser that I had on the compressor. We'll see where that takes me.

I'm cornfuzzled. Makes no sense that all of would stop working at the same time. Curious if ambient temp/pressure may have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...decided to swap out the seperator bottle from a standard water bottle to a small gatorade bottle. The gatorade bottles seal tighter than the 20oz soda/water bottles. Also, I'm going to be re-doing the silicone seals on both caps. Got one curing as I type. Instead of just sealing the underside of the cap, I also sealed the top side. This should definately eliminate any possible leaks.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first bottle that I redid seems to be working well. I just checked on it and it is pushing CO2 through the diffuser. I just replaced another bottle and we'll see how this one goes.

I went ahead and redid all but one bottle. I will do that when the others cure and I can replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts