The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've never really used one before nor setup a planted tank just solely for Cherry Shrimp... so was just curious, how exactly does the sponge filter work? I know it's a sponge obviously, but I mean do you just plug it in? Do you hook it up to an airline, what?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hook it up to an airline, but I don't think they are the most attractive option, though they are very good for shrimp tanks.

I would much prefer a HOB filter with a sponge or fine screen on the intake, this would take up much less in tank space.

Whiskey

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a heavily planted 10 gal. tank with Red Rili shrimp and I use a AquaClear 50 with a screen on it. The shrimp population is exploding.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a canister(SunSun HW-302's) and HOB (AC 50's) on my two shrimp tanks. 20G and 29G.
I use a cheap 10 pack of intake sponge filters from E---Bay to make them shrimp safe. The sponges fit my Aqua Clear 50 intakes perfectly. I also started using these sponges on my canister intakes. I use to use panty hose. Both work, but sponges hold more bio film and other stuff for shrimp to graze on.

Pictures of the tanks with prefilters on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts