1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
it might be stupid one but i'll give it a try

can i use them on non aquatic plants?

Hi Sharon_hazan,

First of all welcome to TPT!

You might be able to but it may also kill all of your fish. Most plant fertilizers used in our gardens utilize anhydrous ammonia or urea as the source for nitrogen - both of which can be deadly to our fish. In addition many commercial fertilizers contain 'heavy metals' such as arsenic, cadmium, mercury, lead, and other toxic elements.

I would strongly suggest using plant food recommended for aquarium plants and or dry fertilizers that are 'pure' such as potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, and potassium sulfate.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Yes. Ferts sold for aquarium use can be used on garden or house plants.
To figure out the dosing is a bit tricky, but just dose very lightly and it will be fine.

Here are two ways to figure out dosing:
1) Find a product intended for the plants you have in mind, in liquid form, and compare the N, P, K or Fe. Whichever is highest, use that and do some math.
example: lets say you find a house plant fertilizer that is 5-10-5.
And you want to figure out how to use Seachem Flourish Nitrogen. Per label, this is 1%N and 2%K
Use the potassium, since that is highest. Comparing the potassium in the house plant fertilizer (5%) to the Seachem Flourish Nitrogen (2%) you can see that you would dose the Seachem product a 2.5x the dose of the house plant fertilizer.

2) More complex is to figure out how much actual N, P, K or Fe is in the product, and compare the dosing to any other fertilizer that is labeled for your plants. Ferts are labeled as % active ingredient by weight.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You could use aquarium ferts for terrestrial plants, but I doubt it would be cost efficient.
You could use garden ferts for aquarium plants, but as pointed out, they may contain unwanted/potentially harmful substances, so read the ingredients list.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Yes you can. Fertilizers are fertilizers. If you're using Flourish products then it's not financially appropriate. A box of Miracle Grow is FAR less expensive than Flourish products. If you're using Dry fertilizers then it's a perfectly viable option. The advantages are two fold. The fertilizers are cheaper and more versatile. When you have each component, you can blend any fertilizer ratio you want. No need to buy a high nitrogen fertilizer for leaf growth, bloom booster or any other. NPK is NPK end of story. Fertilizer companies make a fortune off of blending chemicals for various purposes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.