The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got about 34 endlers for .20 cents. I thought that was pretty good. Im assuming the ones with color are males and the ones without are females. How big do these guys get and could they go with rainbows and angels once they got bigger? My angels are very peaceful. I have about 20 harliquins and neons in with them and they dont bother them. Just let me know! thanks

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
the males grow to half an inch thin, while female get to a full inch fat.
once any sex endler is a half inch you can throw them in the big tank
as long as there is some plant coverage up the full height of your tank.
you will lose a few to predation, but they multiply fast on their own.
if you have a lot more males then females, you may have problems
with over sexually harassed females always jumping out of your tank.
if your rams or angels become more aggressive, or are used to being
regularly fed live food, they could become your endlers biggest problem
once endlers sexually mature and start "dancing" out in open water.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my fish have never been fed live food. I guess ill have to wait and see. Right now I have alot more females than males im guessing becuase of the coloring.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
well, let's not forget that guppies are used as "feeder fish" :eek:
though endlers seem a lot more nimble than most guppies.
I did an experiment with endlers and my Flag fish in a 10gal.
the Flags ate all my 1/8" endler fry, but when I waited a
Month till they got to 1/2", the endlers get away easily
and the Flags don't chase them much. of course Angels
can be a lot nastier than Flag fish...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I just got about 34 endlers for .20 cents. I thought that was pretty good. Im assuming the ones with color are males and the ones without are females. How big do these guys get and could they go with rainbows and angels once they got bigger? My angels are very peaceful. I have about 20 harliquins and neons in with them and they dont bother them. Just let me know! thanks
Where did you get them for that price? Not out of a feeder tank I hope, if so then they are not endler's, but rather wild color guppies.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Endlers will cross breed with guppies, so you may have a mixed breed, which could lead to the low price. They do look a lot like wild or near wild guppies in coloration, but smaller.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
In my 10gal I'm breeding Tuxedo pattern Endler's so the tank has a few mature females, a few dozen fry and only one or two mature males. The Month old fry are in that "follow the leader" phase where they school around the tank in small gangs pretty regularly. But today, I noticed this laying on the gravel behavior I've never seen before. They return to normal activity levels at other times in the day, but I was surprised to see them like this especially in the late morning after the light has already been on a few hours. all water conditions are fine, and my tank is full of plants they would normally rest on, that's why I'm particularly puzzled why they are resting on the bottom. since this tank has a crayfish, I would think they'd prefer resting like they usually do in the fine leaf plants where the crayfish can't get at them, not the bottom. when this photo was taken the crayfish had been inactive at least an hour, resting deep in his cave. can anyone with lot's of Endler's tell me if this is normal, or should I be concerned, and if so, by what?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi

I also have a question if you don't mind RachPreach.

Why are all my endler off spring female and not male? I have yet too see one single male come out off all the babbys i have gotten out of this group.

I should also note that i could never get swordtails or platys to breed at all. They just carried the babbies untill they die. Males just thined and died.

I am happy that i can get me endlers to breed but i would like to know what is causing me to get only females.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
will5; from my own observations, it takes a Month for the male fry to display a distinctive pivoting anal fin, then another Month for males to display colors, so perhaps over time you'll notice more males among all those female fry ;) also keep in mind endler's will have more fry as they mature, so if a virgin female just had her first handful of all female fry, that's not unusual. but after a few months of successive litters, your female will shoot out a few dozen fry per month, and many will certainly mature into males.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
I also have a question if you don't mind RachPreach.

Why are all my endler off spring female and not male? I have yet too see one single male come out off all the babbys i have gotten out of this group.

I should also note that i could never get swordtails or platys to breed at all. They just carried the babbies untill they die. Males just thined and died.

I am happy that i can get me endlers to breed but i would like to know what is causing me to get only females.
The temperature of your water. Too warm or cold causes them to be strongly one gender or the other.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi if that is the case then cool water favors males and warm water favors females. Beause my tank is warm without a heater in the winter and REALLY REALLY warm in the Summer.

So in the summer would it be ok to switch night into day and day in to night as far as when my lights are on for my plants?

I run 2x 20 watts screw in walmart bulbs over a 10 gallon tank for 8 hours a day.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Yes, you can run a reverse light cycle on your tank. A friend of mine does that with his tanks that are all one system. The sump is a 'veggie filter type' and the light cycle for that is at night so plants are filtering the system 24/7.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts