The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think it depends on your lighting. I had borderline medium/high light and mine only got like 3-4 inches highest, most were less.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It can grow 6 to 8 inches in due time. I filled a 10g with it. Just used dirt and a cfl bulb. Grows like a weed. You can trim it if you like.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I just about a month ago cut back the whole ten gallon tank. Reduced it by more than half. It recovered fairly quickly. No real problems to speak of.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Do you mean removing full nodes or cutting leaves? The leaves definitely will not grow back once cut.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts
Most of mine is about 2-4 inches but some is getting up to about 8 inches or so.

Really cool plant, it's a like a lawn in your tank.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you mean removing full nodes or cutting leaves? The leaves definitely will not grow back once cut.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I would like to grow dwarf sag and trim the leaves once it grows too big. I keep reading about people saying the leaves grow back and some say they don't. Now I'm confused. :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
IME, in my 10G with 2 CFL 13W bulbs, they grow small and carpet-like. In my 25G 16" High tank with 4 T5HO bulbs, they started getting really long. Reached the surface and then flowered - small white flowers. Its the exact same batch in the 2 tanks but way different growths.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have some that reach almost 10". I swear they have some Val in them :)

You can trim the leaves. They will just yellow and decay like others have stated. Better to pluck em.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Tall, I've had a few leaves reach the top of my 24" 90g tank. Depends on lighting and other conditions. Old plants grow longer leaves as well, new plants stay small (under 6 inches) for a few weeks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IME, in my 10G with 2 CFL 13W bulbs, they grow small and carpet-like. In my 25G 16" High tank with 4 T5HO bulbs, they started getting really long. Reached the surface and then flowered - small white flowers. Its the exact same batch in the 2 tanks but way different growths.
I just setup a 10G tank that is dirted and with 2 CFL 13W bulbs. I just want to make sure, but is 2x13W bulbs okay for low tech?

I am growing Ludwigia Repens, Java Fern, and Anubia Nana Petite. Here is a picture of my tank.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of mine is about 2-4 inches but some is getting up to about 8 inches or so.

Really cool plant, it's a like a lawn in your tank.
I want a lawn of my own, lol. Any tips that you could give as to how to create a lawn/carpet with that plant?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I have a bunch of these in my 75 gallon. The leaves will not stop growing really. I routinely have them reach the surface of the tank and then grow sidways. I cut them all the time and they always grow back. Sometimes I cut ones at the surface down to about 6 inches. I've had the same group growing in my tank for a couple years now. Grow, cut, repeat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts