The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this pretty big piece of driftwood that I really like, and I've never really done much aquascaping with hardscape. So I was wondering, in my new tank I'm setting up, where I have the wood placed, is it done correctly? or is there a certain angle you have to get?

It's stuck up right now by a paper towel and cup because I don't have it planted yet lol But I was thinking to make it sloped upwards like that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, the only "correct" answer is whatever placement you like ... :)

That said, I do like the upward placement you are going for, but I would also try flipping it around to the other end of the tank so the more vertical branch is toward the rear. If you want to attach any plants/moss to that branch, having it towards the back would probably work better.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Curiosity mind you but what are the two light ? Not why two but what kind ?
I have one tank/w a dual bulb T5 fixture and keep my light 1/3 distance from the front measured by the middle of the fixture. In my other tank I have two single bulb T8 fixtures and place one at front and back. But in the one fixture only tank keeping it all the way in front makes the back darker so I put it at the 1/3 point. This gives me light on the front of most of what is in my tank. I prefer it to having light coming from the back. This makes the plants lean towards the front and look better/easier to see.
That is a very interesting looking piece. Have you tried it to see how it looks with
the piece which is now sticking up laying down on the bottom flat so it makes that
part in the back go up and across ?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the input, H20gal :)

The two light fixtures are an Aquaticlife 36 inch T5HO, and an Odyssea 24 inch T5HO. I was just kinda tinkering around with the fixtures at the time to see what it/they looked like on the tank, so that's why I had both there. I probably won't be using them both. That would probably be way too much light. It's only a 38 gallon tank, so most likely just the 36in fixture.

Yeah I definitely thought that piece had some personality to it. I'm usually kind of picky about driftwood, hence why I never usually do hardscapes.... and I haven't really tried too much with different angles and such with the driftwood, but I will definitely experiment more with it. I will probably add a bunch of stones around the base of it, as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts