The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m new in aquascaping and I need some help.

I want to do a 10 gallons shrimp tank most cherry shrimps. I got some “Dragon Stone” from my local aquarium. I read that I need to clean the stones. But, I soaked the stone over 2 weeks now rinse the stone every day. But, the stone never stop leaking clay. Do you guys have any idea how to clean the stones?

Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is a crumbly stone. Some pieces may be more so than others. I’m using a couples pieces now in an aquarium and I don’t have any issues with it falling apart in the tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a crumbly stone. Some pieces may be more so than others. I’m using a couples pieces now in an aquarium and I don’t have any issues with it falling apart in the tank.
Hi,

I’m not talking about the crumbly part.. I’m taking about the clay. Is look like I’m going to do a jar with all the clay I’m removing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I’m not talking about the crumbly part.. I’m taking about the clay. Is look like I’m going to do a jar with all the clay I’m removing.
That's exactly what @AceFish is saying... it's a clay stone so it crumbles with small bits of clay coming off it.
You don't need to clean it until it stops crumbling because it will be fine as is for shrimps.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
OP is talking about all of the pockets being packed with clay, not necessarily the stone itself being crumbly.

OP, this rock is covered in small pockets, most of which will be packed with clay. The last time I used this stone, I painstakingly went over each stone with dental tools and a water pic (yes, the thing for your teeth) and cleaned out each pocket. Using a small, hard tool like a tiny screwdriver will help you identify where the clay stops and the stone begins. As you work to clean it, you’re going to find dozens and dozens of pockets that looked like stone, but were actually clay.

You could also try a pressure washer, but be careful not to be too aggressive. The stone is crumbly (like others have pointed out), and a pressure washer could break it apart.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just rinse the pockets of stuff out under the sink and use a brush.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP is talking about all of the pockets being packed with clay, not necessarily the stone itself being crumbly.

OP, this rock is covered in small pockets, most of which will be packed with clay. The last time I used this stone, I painstakingly went over each stone with dental tools and a water pic (yes, the thing for your teeth) and cleaned out each pocket. Using a small, hard tool like a tiny screwdriver will help you identify where the clay stops and the stone begins. As you work to clean it, you’re going to find dozens and dozens of pockets that looked like stone, but were actually clay.

You could also try a pressure washer, but be careful not to be too aggressive. The stone is crumbly (like others have pointed out), and a pressure washer could break it apart.
That’s exactly what I was talking about.
I will do like are you saying.
Thank you everyone for the answers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts