The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying Hikari food products for part of my Red Cherry Shrimp's diet. I've already decided that I would get Hikari's Crab Cuisine + Algae Wafers (for sure) since both these products do NOT have copper in them.

I decided to avoid food that has copper in it. But, there is an argument that Shrimp need a SMALL amount of copper for blood regeneration.

Hikari's Shrimp Cuisine does have copper so my question is...

If I don't give them a small trace of copper (by giving them food like Hikari's Shrimp Cuisine), how would shrimp naturally obtain copper?

I guess it goes down to should I buy the Shrimp Cuisine?

P.S: Do these Hikari food products have astaxanthin? I'm hoping they do.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A little bit of copper is going to be fine. I been feeding Hikari shrimp cusiine and it's fine. Even some of the other special shrimp food I feed have copper in them. Shrimp cuisine does have asthanx in it.

I'm not sure how they obtain copper naturally, but guessing is that natural vegetation and dead bodies of other animals have some minute amount of copper in them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies Eden Marel & oblongshrimp

How often would you feed Hikari Shrimp Cuisine (or any food that has copper)? Because I'm worried that maybe the food could cause a Copper build up in the water to a dangerous level.. is that possible? (I have a 5.5 gallon tank)

Otherwise, I'm thinking I'd feed it to the shrimp every 2 or 3 days..

Also, is there much of a difference between Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and Hikari Crab Cuisine? if not I might just get only the Shrimp Cuisine.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Thanks for the replies Eden Marel & oblongshrimp

How often would you feed Hikari Shrimp Cuisine (or any food that has copper)? Because I'm worried that maybe the food could cause a Copper build up in the water to a dangerous level.. is that possible? (I have a 5.5 gallon tank)

Otherwise, I'm thinking I'd feed it to the shrimp every 2 or 3 days..

Also, is there much of a difference between Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and Hikari Crab Cuisine? if not I might just get only the Shrimp Cuisine.
Hello fellow Canadian. The copper in food is fine, its not going to build up, its not going to kill them. Its there cause they need it. No worries. I feel my shrimp every other day with a variety of foods, that all probably have copper in them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.