The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I just brought home 3 cherry shrimp,(among other new inhabitants) one is a female with eggs. Do I need to put a pre filter on the intake of my canister filter? Having babies is not crucial to me but would be really cool.
Earl

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess a list of the other inhabitants would have been a good referance for replies.
4 dwarf gouramis
6 golden white clouds
1 bolivian ram
3 cherry shrimp
Will I have survivors from the shrimp babies? I dont have any plants that are ground cover as of yet.
Earl

·
Registered
464 Posts
OK so then a pre filter is not necessary then? If I dont use a pre filter do you think I may still get a few babies to make it?
Earl
If you have some moss or something for them to hide and graze in, there's a chance you'll have a few make it

·
Registered
52 Posts
I kept some tiny gourami babies with RCS. I wish I had taken out the babies sooner. If the female RCS is still around, you could put her in another tank seeded with bacteria from your current tank....if you would like to see the RCS hatch and grow.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you want even your adult cherries to survive, relocate them. All 3 will get eaten eventually. Just because it doesn't happen right away doesn't mean that it wont happen in the near future.

The babies are sure to be little cheeseburgers for those fish.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I've had a few survivors in my 58 with Discus, Yo-Yo's and other bigger omnivorous types. For the couple of cents it'll cost it can't hurt. It makes for less frequent cannister maintenance, too. ;)

Tommy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All
Thanks for the replies. That is a bummer they will get eaten. I dont have a seperate tank for them. I did put on a per filter though. The fish in there are too small to eat them (the adults) at the moment so I will let it go and see what happens. I have some moss coming in the mail soon. I really wanted shrimp it the tank. I wish the LFS would have told me the fish would eat them. I bought them all at the same time. Live and learn.
Earl

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi All
I wish the LFS would have told me the fish would eat them. I bought them all at the same time. Live and learn.
Earl
Are you saying you bought ALL the fish at the same time?? How big is your tank? If it's less than a 55 I'd be concerned about adding that many fish at once. Maybe I just misunderstood your post. Also if most of your Gourami's are male you may have some problems with them not getting along.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi p3purr
It is a 55. The gourami's seem to be ok with each other. It looks like I have a pair of gold honey and a pair of the powder blue. I am going by what I read about the females having a rounded end on the dorsal and the males having a pointed end. I had not seen the shrimp in a day and a half until I did a WC and there they were. Mom is still holding eggs. The moss i have coming should be here soon. The fish do not seem to be very interested in the shrimp.
Earl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.