The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 10 gallon I have a penguin bio wheel mini 100, and I decided to upgrade to an aqua clear 30. Should I leave my penguin running with the aqua clear for a couple weeks? Or should I get rid of the penguin right away? My thinking is that the aqua clear doesn't have any bacteria yet and if I pull the penguin out I'm taking a bunch of bacteria out of the tank. I know there is a load of bacteria in the tank itself, I just don't want to cause a mini cycle.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You could just save the media in the Penguin.
Either cut it up and put it in the Aquaclear, or put it in a mesh bag like a nylon stocking and hang it in the tank right under the Aquaclear.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I took the purigen from the penguin and put it in the aquaclear where the carbon would go ( I never use carbon anyways), I'll keep the penguin running for a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The problem with the penguin is that the medium is that wheel thing...which might be weird to place in the aqua clear.

I say run both for a few weeks, wouldn't hurt at all ya know?

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can let the biowheel loose in the tank. It will float around, maybe turning or maybe not, and may get stuck in a corner or trapped somewhere by the current. Any result is fine. No need to try to submerge it or anything. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.