The Planted Tank Forum banner

question about ceramic bio media

1605 8
I have two 2215 filter and I remember reading somewhere that it's recommended that you replace 50% or so of the bio media (ehfisubstrat/pro) every year or every so often.

I was wondering what's the reason behind this. Is it only because the pores of the media get clogged up or is there another reason?

Personally, I think this is quite excessive/expensive. All I've done with the bio media is give it a good swish in old tank water. It knocks loose a lot of the gunk that builds on it and it comes out cleaner than when I put it in. I might just buy a gallon or two of plastic bio balls to replace them.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
I had some ceramic media once that I threw away b/c it had started to break apart. It was visibly crumbling and there were bits and dust all in the bottom of my filter (was a HOB filter, actually). It was probably cheap stuff that wasn't fired properly or something, but it CAN happen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.