The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 2215 filter and I remember reading somewhere that it's recommended that you replace 50% or so of the bio media (ehfisubstrat/pro) every year or every so often.

I was wondering what's the reason behind this. Is it only because the pores of the media get clogged up or is there another reason?

Personally, I think this is quite excessive/expensive. All I've done with the bio media is give it a good swish in old tank water. It knocks loose a lot of the gunk that builds on it and it comes out cleaner than when I put it in. I might just buy a gallon or two of plastic bio balls to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
I was wondering what's the reason behind this. Is it only because the pores of the media get clogged up or is there another reason?
Simple.... $$$$
+1

All I've done with the bio media is give it a good swish in old tank water. It knocks loose a lot of the gunk that builds on it and it comes out cleaner than when I put it in.
This is all most of us do, also.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ditto.

I'm still using ceramic media that's... 10 years old, I think? Only reason I would see to replace ceramic media is if it starts to actually disentigrate.
How would it disintegrate? As hard as the stuff is, and as low (relatively) a flow rate is through it, it will last us, our kids and grandkids lifetimes.

We have a dam (420' tall) with 3 18' diameter discharge tubs putting out 10,000 cf/s of water, ceramic lined. The COE said it will last 100+ years.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
figures it was $$$. I do have a ehfisubstrat that is starting to decompose so I might split up the ehfi pro between the two filters and buy some bioballs. I would use those potscrubbers but I can't find them at the 99 cent stores anymore.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I had some ceramic media once that I threw away b/c it had started to break apart. It was visibly crumbling and there were bits and dust all in the bottom of my filter (was a HOB filter, actually). It was probably cheap stuff that wasn't fired properly or something, but it CAN happen.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
How would it disintegrate? As hard as the stuff is, and as low (relatively) a flow rate is through it, it will last us, our kids and grandkids lifetimes.

We have a dam (420') with 3 18' diameter discharge tubs putting out 10,000 cf/s of water, ceramic lined. The COE said it will last 100+ years.
Ceramic varies a lot, some of it is used as body armor.

biomedia probably isn't going to disentegrate though. Plus, you've probably got far more surface area for bacteria than you need (especially in a planted tank) so it doesn't matter if the pores get clogged.

If you do want to replace it/buy more biomedia, there is no reason to use the eheim brand. Get whatever is cheapest.
eg https://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=10121190

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.