The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Tom's Non CO2 Method article (http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/433-Non-CO2-methods), using mineralized soil, peat, or leonardite under the gravel provides a source of carbon for the bacteria living in the gravel which in turn allows the bacteria to use up oxygen in the gravel, thus allowing better transfer of nutrients to the roots (hope I understood that right :confused1: ).

The question I have is what happens when the carbon source runs out? Does anything else in the tank eventually start to supply the bacteria with carbon? For example does all the "crap" that accumulates eventually in the gravel take over this role of being a carbon donor?

Thanks,
Harry

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That's why many people start using CO2 and/or Excel on their tanks.

Personally, I stick with low enough lighting that my plants get whatever carbon they need from fish respiration + normal osmosis from the air.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started a low light, non injected CO2 tank about 9 months ago. Everything is working just as nicely as day 1. If I notice a decrease in plant health, I will just drain the tank and replace the layer peat moss underneat the substrate, pretty simple I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.