The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm working on setting up a standard 90 gallon tank that came with 1.5" bulkhead holes drilled in the back. I picked up a Fluval FX5 and want to utilize the holes for a nicer presentation.

My question is; can I plumb a 1.5" intake tubing and 1.5" return spray bar into the tank or should I downsize it to 1" tubing to maintain flow rates? I figure that the FX5 tubing is 1" ID and therefore the flow at the intake and return will be lower as the tubing diameter is increased. I'm including a sketch so it makes more sense.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1errJGqhOg5jHqwAXHNBXeWFq7B2R6DJ7

Also, Where should I downsize the 1.5" tubing outside the tank to fit a 1" barb adapter? I can do it in spots A or B on the below diagram. The last question is; what is the best option for injecting co2? Can I simply drill a hole and add a brass barb fitting into the return to come out the spray bar? Or would it be significantly more efficient add an in-line reactor?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P_h3irTuoUfiWzxFnz23aeSw6Q4HYvf_

Thanks!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah I would put a 1.5" to 1" reducer at point A right after the tank, then a ball valve, and then use the barb fitting.
Ball valve is a good add. With that in mind, I'd go this route: Bulkhead>Reducing bushing>elbow>Ball valve>1" barb. Mix and match slip and thread fittings as you prefer.

Reactions: thebadbaron

·
Registered
815 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
815 Posts
For whatever reason I was trying to avoid this at all costs but it seems more reasonable now. I'll just pain the damn PVC.
It's pretty easy to do and widely done. The hardest part is waiting for the paint to dry. I hate getting into a project, then having to stop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.