The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I always just turned on a light to draw the BBS to the surface for harvesting. Other than that, the hatcheries didn't have any special lighting at all (just lit room during the day).

The real secret to hatching BBS is to start with quality eggs.

I've heard that it's next to impossible to find viable decapped BBS eggs any more; can anyone verify that? I'd love to use those next time I need to raise BBS... it's SOOO much less hassle not having to separate the BBS from the egg casings!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Easy to harvest hatchery set up with a cut down two liter soda bottle. Page 10. Post 145 has pictures.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/87012-55g-low-tech-angel-tank-56k-10.html

Post 144 has a qoute posted by Ms Diana Walstad over on the APC site regarding extended hatching periods using the same container. (it works)

The temp, lighting and what not are not as important as enough salt and good eggs to start with. As I wrote in the post with this set up the empty shells float and the BBS go to the bottom so I get clean shrimp in the net only needing a good rinse before releasing to the tank:hihi:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy to harvest hatchery set up with a cut down two liter soda bottle. Page 10. Post 145 has pictures.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/87012-55g-low-tech-angel-tank-56k-10.html

Post 144 has a qoute posted by Ms Diana Walstad over on the APC site regarding extended hatching periods using the same container. (it works)

The temp, lighting and what not are not as important as enough salt and good eggs to start with. As I wrote in the post with this set up the empty shells float and the BBS go to the bottom so I get clean shrimp in the net only needing a good rinse before releasing to the tank:hihi:
Interesting, thank you so much.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got other eggs from another supplier, now the hatching rate is about 90%.
i used a beanie box filled with 1/4 gallon of aquarium water, 1 table spoon rock salt, 1/2 tea spoon brine shrimp eggs and 1/8 tea spoon baking soda. i used an air tube inside the box and put it inside the aquarium (for lighting and temperature).

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nothing realy special, i just hang it using 2 paper clips...
one more thing , i also made a net using permanent coffe filter, measuring cup and glue gun, it is so fine that it catches 99% baby brine shrimp, and 100% if they start to grow. here is some pics..the last one is for soon to be betta display unit with led lights over. you can do 1000 things with beanie boxes.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
How much rate you get from decapped eggs?
I'd have no way to know. I had two hatcheries going. I used water straight from a SW tank and would pour the bottle into a brine shrimp net and dump it all into the SW tanks. Since they were decapped it didn't really mater.

SteveU

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't know what I am more impressed with the brine shrimp hatchery or the coffee filter/measuring cup net. What's the plans for the empty boxes? Betta babies? (bad joke, lol)
Correct:proud:, i had breed red double tail male and light yellow female last time and they make a lot off BABIES :D.
i still need to figure out what water pump to use to supply the water to all the 12 containers, here is the set up :

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.