The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Longfin Albino female that I want to breed. I'm a little confused about what the offspring results are of breeding these, as it doesn't seem as straight forward as I thought. Can you tell me the results of breeding these following plecos together? Also whether or not it matters who's male and female?

Albino Longfin x Albino Shortfin
Albino Longfin x Albino Longfin
Albino Longfin x Albino Longfin Blue Eyes
Albino Longfin x Albino Shortfin
Albino Longfin x Albino SF Blue Eyes
Albino Longfin x Super Red Longfin
Albino Longfin x Super Red Shortfin

It seems like you won't always get what you would logically think you would get. People are saying they're getting browns from breeding albinos. Help would be appreciated as I'm very new to breeding!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Albino longfinned I breed with albino shortfin throw 70 % longfin and 30 % short fin.
Long fin with long fin throw 100% long fin for me.
Never paid no mind to the eye's ,but most are red eyed for me.
Brown could be in genes I guess with a male or female somewhere back, and maybe might see this with a few babies if it were so,but I have not seen it with long fin to long fin or long fin to short fin albino's in nearly six year's of breeding them for store credit.
If I wanted blue eye's,I might try and source young male/female that carried this trait.
Same thing for super red.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never paid no mind to the eye's ,but most are red eyed for me.
On my search for a male I found that people sell red eyed LFs for a much much higher price ($60 CAD for a 3"). They seem to be a bit more rare in my area I guess. I'm just wondering if paying extra for a red eyes male is worth the extra moolah so.

If I wanted blue eye's,I might try and source young male/female that carried this trait.
Same thing for super red.
Would the offspring split be similar to mating the LF ans SF albino you mentioned, 70/30?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
If blue eye's were wanted, I would want both male and female to possess this trait.
Can't say what the ratio might be otherwise.
Same thing if I wanted red eye.
Used to be a forum "Bristlenose World" they maybe could offer more insight.(if still in existence)
I don' breed for particular eye color just extra $$ for use at the local fish store.
I get 5 buck's a piece store credit for long fin albino's at two inches, and he sell's em on for $12.00

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.