The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of putting a Bonsai tree or Oak Tree in my scape. Since I have carpeting grass, my question is won't the Bonsai tree cast a shadow and the grass at the shadowy area won't grow.

Look at this photo for example. The base of the tree is in shadows. How can the grass carpet there?

Any thoughts or experience with this?

If I can add, this scape looks quite fake to me. In my opinion, three months with that setup, and all the grass at the foot of the tree will die.

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
in my experience with them, the shadows prevent the carpets from growing under them.

It is likely that the tree and carpet in the above photo are grown in separate tanks, and then placed for Aquascaping contests, or photoshoots.

i'd be happy to be wrong about that though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was a contest tank done by Filipe Oliveira. He did a similar aquascape in 2007 which placed quite well.

Here is the progression series of this aquascape. You can quite clearly see that this aquascape was built and grown in as shown.
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/gallery/images/1/2_sbs_large.jpg

Hope that helps.
Thanks. This is enlightening. But now that the tree is fully grown, do you think the carpet is sustainable?

I'm planning on adding a bonsai myself, and am cautious that the area beneath the tree will die out due to lack of light.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Absolutely as the canopy gets thicker and larger it will shade out plants below. The carpet will certainly be thin under the tree canopy. But imo that is a very natural look and not a bad thing. Add hardscape or low light plants underneath in the deep shadowed areas as the carpet recedes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.