The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering what i should do about my BBA problem, it seems to like to grow on a few leaves of my slower growing plants, in amongst my pearl grass and quite heavily on my driftwood. I know I can trim the leaves with BBA, that's not a big issue, and I'll remove the pearl grass and replant the healthy stuff, but I'm curious about the driftwood, it doesn't bother me that it's on there but I'm wondering, by having it there, does that allow it to spread onto anything else, like can this actually cause it to spread to plants, etc? Also, if you find the balance where BBA won't grow, will the BBA in the tank currently stop growing and die off or does it have to be manually removed despite the conditions in the tank?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
if you have excel you can dose some directly on the affected areas of the driftwood. you can either pull the wood out or dose before you fill the tank back up during the next water change. when the bba turns red it's dead. in my experience the bba tufts will slowly die off once your eliminate the source, which in my cause was too much light and too little co2.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately i don't have any excel, and taking the piece of driftwood out would destroy my whole setup. i would like to eliminate the problem for the sake of my plants, but it's certainly not hurting the driftwood any :)

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
If you can a large group of Amano Shrimp should eliminate the BBA and you won't have to remove anything. In addition to that I would hit it from all sides. Reduce lighting duration, less food, less fish. More water changes, filter cleaning. Basically your reducing the organic content of your water.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Some here write that hydrogen peroxide gets BBA as well. You might do a search to see if that is something to consider. Easy to find and cheap if it works. As houseofcards wrote, hit it hard with good plant maintenance as well.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Some here write that hydrogen peroxide gets BBA as well. You might do a search to see if that is something to consider. Easy to find and cheap if it works. As houseofcards wrote, hit it hard with good plant maintenance as well.

YEAP...get a syringe..Called Direct Dosing. I use Exel and Hydrogen Peroxide H2o2.

3%

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
These fish are great in a tank that has BBA...Once you direct dose it these come and pick it apart. They are Indo Flying Foxes, I have 2 in my tank and they are fun to watch. HOWEVER, over time once there isnt BBA in the tank they will eat regular fish food and not touch algae again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah sadly here in on the east coast of canada, it's hard to find a lot of fish, not to mention many aquarium products in general. Very limiting.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Flying Foxes grew to over 5" in my tanks and became a problem.
Low NO3 contributes to BBA along with low CO2 levels on injected systems.
Regular 3% H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) does a good job killing this algae.
Stay below 3ml per gallon of tank volume and you should be worry free not harming you're critters. Shut off the water circulation pumps and slowly inject directly onto the algae. It's required that you smile as it starts to bubble in the H2O2.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I used H2O2 on my driftwood that had BBA with excellent results.

Dosed roughly 1.5ml per gallon (gross). Meaning, my tank 'holds' 30 gallons so I dosed 45-50ml of H2O2 for several days using a medicine dropper.

I think under 2ml per gallon is safe, but I used less as I had no way to calculate how much water was displaced by substrate and driftwood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.