The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently added two angelfish to my 29 gallon. They are fairly large, no idea of they are male or female. Got them from a lady who breeds her own. Their tank has various anubias and marimo moss balls. Do I have to be concerned that they will eat the anubias or more importantly the marimo??? I have about 30 moss balls and have quite a bit of money in them and would hate to see them destroyed! Otherwise do you think my angels will fight? They are the only fish in the tank besides some snails.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Time will tell, some angels like vegetable in their diet, my kois will eat any elodea they find as well as new shoots off stem plants.
I don't think any fish eats anubias, and I think mosses are bitter, but marimo is a type of algae?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I don't find any trouble with angels and plants. Part of the nonsense about cichlids all dig and tear up plants, maybe? When choosing fish it pays to look at each type rather than just lump them all together.
So the angels are mostly interested in live stuff like small fish and bugs. That makes them a far better choice than a fish who lives in nature by eating plants!

How they will get along has several different ways to go. They may pair and breed or they may appear to pair, lay eggs that never get fertile because both are female. Or they may both be male? They might begin to view each other as competition and fight or they might not.
About the only way to find out is wait and have in mind what one might need to do in each case.
If you go with the idea that they are pets and you have to keep them, get ready with more tanks.
I personally see them as something for me to enjoy and move them out if they become a problem.
We don't keep wives or roommates that become problems so I don't give my fish any higher status!

·
Registered
852 Posts
they might occasionally peck at the moss,but they won't do any damage to it.hopefully they aren't aggressive to each other,but try to keep a tank open to move one of them to if they do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't find any trouble with angels and plants. Part of the nonsense about cichlids all dig and tear up plants, maybe? When choosing fish it pays to look at each type rather than just lump them all together.
So the angels are mostly interested in live stuff like small fish and bugs. That makes them a far better choice than a fish who lives in nature by eating plants!

How they will get along has several different ways to go. They may pair and breed or they may appear to pair, lay eggs that never get fertile because both are female. Or they may both be male? They might begin to view each other as competition and fight or they might not.
About the only way to find out is wait and have in mind what one might need to do in each case.
If you go with the idea that they are pets and you have to keep them, get ready with more tanks.
I personally see them as something for me to enjoy and move them out if they become a problem.
We don't keep wives or roommates that become problems so I don't give my fish any higher status!
So after some searching on numerous threads about sexing angelfish I'm beginning to think my black on is male (rounded mouth, bump on head) and the white/silver stripe is female (sleeker head, no bump, pointed mouth). But this is just a guess and not definate. They had their first feeding today and apparently they liked the variety I gave to them because they act like they are my best friends now haha!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Angels do make great friends!!
Once you have some for a time, you may miss them. They seem to have some real thoughts going through their little minds?
Seeing you is not a simple matter of knowing you from strangers but I found that my fish was able to tell when I had a baseball cap on or not. My routine was to come in, feed the poor starving fish, receive the love and then throw the cap on the shelf. But one night I threw the cap before feeding and she/he nearly went out the wall when the stranger came around!
But like most friends they also can be a problem at times. Enjoy the experience but then do be a bit prepared if they become rowdy.

For me sexing in most ways was not too successful. After they grow larger it is often worthwhile to do the "venting" process when really needing to know rather than waiting for breeding to show up.
Venting larger fish has obvious advantages over small fish.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Angels do make great friends!!
Once you have some for a time, you may miss them. They seem to have some real thoughts going through their little minds?
Seeing you is not a simple matter of knowing you from strangers but I found that my fish was able to tell when I had a baseball cap on or not. My routine was to come in, feed the poor starving fish, receive the love and then throw the cap on the shelf. But one night I threw the cap before feeding and she/he nearly went out the wall when the stranger came around!
But like most friends they also can be a problem at times. Enjoy the experience but then do be a bit prepared if they become rowdy.

For me sexing in most ways was not too successful. After they grow larger it is often worthwhile to do the "venting" process when really needing to know rather than waiting for breeding to show up.
Venting larger fish has obvious advantages over small fish.
They are about the size of my hand at the moment. And yes they definately have their own distinct personalities! They stick to eachother like glue in the tank so I'm hoping they are male and female.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The best way to sex angels is to wait for them to drop their reproductive organs.
Males thin and needle like, it just has to eject sperm, female has a thicker flat tipped protrusion as she has to get eggs through it.

I've had two females spawn and lay eggs together before... Luckily I have a pair of koi now as well as their first offspring. Still have to replace the double dark that passed away, but I can probably get a new one from the fish farm I got her from.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sexing angels is essentially impossible unless they are in breeding condition and the vents are visible. As the previous poster said, females have a short, wide tube while males have a narrower longer vent.

Of course, I've had best luck sexing the fish by watching which one the eggs come out of... ;) Good luck with your fish, sounds like they could be a pair!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.