The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, my tank light shuts off at midnight, however i am usually up until 4-5am. Will having lights on mess up my tanks lighting schedule? I'm not sure at what level plants can actually use light. I have a 9w CFL over my stove (approx. 10 feet away) that is on a lot at night and another in the living room (60 watt incandescent - approx. 25 feet away) that is often on (usually dimmed slightly though). Just wondering if this is problematic? Of course, one could say, look at your tank and decide, but i just wonder if things would be more in balance and potentially grow better if this is an issue and resolved. There's also ambient light from daylight that is in the room before lights come on (all windows have shades but of course it's not pitch black).

Thoughts? :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
My guess is that it doesn't make much, if any, of a difference. I bet that even with all of the surrounding lights in your house on, the tank wouldn't even hit what you'd call "low" light levels. I've always been curious if the lights turning on and shutting off so abruptly could be problematic...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, not very natural, a shame there's no way to fade lights in and out gradually. Though no idea if this would make any difference at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.