The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never done a fish tank before, and am planning what fish and plants to get before I get things set up so the fish can move in. I am planning a 10 gallon shrimp tank and also a 20 gallon fish tank.
In the 20 gallon, I am hoping to put 10 yellow fin white clouds, 10 Harlequin rasboras, 5 julii cories, and then if there is room, either a small school of 5-10 chili rasboras, or a single pea puffer, although I wasn't sure because doing research I've found that while they sometimes do well on communities they can be aggressive.
Would these 30-35 small fish be good in a 20 gallon tank, or would it be too crowded for them? I was also hoping to put 2 or 3 amano shrimp in there too to help with cleaning.
I am planning to make it a planted tank once I figure that out if that helps, but was planning to make the planting simple and not very dense unless the fish need more, and put rocks or wood in for shelter.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The pea puffer might do ok with the fast fish, but it will most likely kill any shrimp you put in there...

If this is your first fish tank(s), then as was mentioned, more plants will help. The plants will buffer some beginner mistakes with water parameters and stocking. For the 20 gallon I'd start with the white clouds and some snails for clean-up, both are pretty tolerant. If that goes well, then add more fish. This will get you used to how much to feed, lighting and water change, etc..

Cycling the tank will be the most important thing before stocking critters

Reactions: greenguppy

·
Registered
33 Posts
considering this is your 1st tank, I’d tame back the number of fish. Maybe drop the pea puffer and one school? The tank will be easier to care for and more enjoyable.

Definitely cycle before adding creatures. Leave out the carbon and chemical filtration while cycling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.