The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do bettas usually jump out of their bowl? I just wanna be prepared for if he does.:confused::eek:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have now lost 2 bettas from jumping, my original prized HMPK who jumped out of a 1 cm crack and my favorite CT Female.
I almost lost another one but caught him just after he jumped out, he suffered stress and damaged fins, but was very lucky and is still alive a year later.

I would recommend a top. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh oh, no. I don't have anything that would be a good enough top for him at this time. :(

·
Registered
430 Posts
You can pick up cheap fiberglass mesh at Home Depot (used for screen windows/doors), and cut it to size. Depending on the size of your tank you can hold it in place with a rubberband or with some file clips.

That way he can't jump out, but you don't have to worry about blocking the flow of air.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both are good ideas, thanks guys ^-^ my little betta seems happy. he's just buzzing around, and poking his flower lol

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
A temporary lid can be plastic wrap taped over the top with holes poked through it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think tomorrow I'll try to find something like that, I'm also gonna start looking for a tank for him. just so he has a little more room to play.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Bree - Did you have any floating plants in those tanks? I found a good layer of hornwort cut down on suicide jumpers when kept Africans. Just curious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my bowl is curved at the top, i hope to get him a bigger tank this week.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My Betta is in a 5 gallon tank, I only put 4 gallons in it though. I like it, since I can bring it to college and it can fit anywhere, yet he still has room to swim.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Bree - Did you have any floating plants in those tanks? I found a good layer of hornwort cut down on suicide jumpers when kept Africans. Just curious.
:D, my zebra danios liked to get out of the water and crawl on thick mate of the frogbit in my old tank, during feeding time, funny to watch.

floating plants do help, instead of jumping out of water, fish like to hide under the roots of floating plants when startle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, I noticed he likes to hide either behind his castle or underneath the flower lol

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Yes bettas jump. You need to cover the top but be sure he can still breathe as he needs air from the surface. You can make a nice cover for a bowl or tank by using velcro and fabric. Attach the velcro to the bowl and to the fabric (or use a fabric that will stick to the velcro - certain types of mesh/netting work well). This also works well to cover up any open spaces you may have in a tank lid/hood where a fish could jump out, as you can mold fabric to fit around cords and hoses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts