The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the threads for info on the solution and was wondering is the distilled water necessary? If my water has a Kh of 4 is it usable? Sooo many threads to look through and I didn't catch if there was something special to the solution. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If your talking about making 4dkh water for use in a drop checker, then you might as well just buy a bottle of distilled water at your local store. It will cost under $2 and last a long time. That very inexpensive as things go in this hobby.

If your talking about water to fill a tank, then 4dkh water out of the tap should be fine.

The reason you want distilled water for a drip checker is that other things in tap which can influence pH. That is what a drop checker is actually measuring. The amount of CO2 in your water changes the pH of the solution in the drop checker. Using water that isn't pure would skew any drop checker readings.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm talking about using in the drop checker. Seemed to me that if I was trying to achieve 4Kh and my tap was 4Kh I could just use it without the whole Mr. Wizard chemistry experience. I think I'll just get the bottle of pre-made solution for $5. Unless it's snake oil. Anybody use ordered solution before?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just used a mix of tap and distilled to achieve desired results. Sure tap water might have elements that may put it slightly off, but it's not like the colour estimation of the drop check is a perfect science anyway and it still gives a good idea and has been working perfectly well for me.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I just used a mix of tap and distilled to achieve desired results. Sure tap water might have elements that may put it slightly off, but it's not like the colour estimation of the drop check is a perfect science anyway and it still gives a good idea and has been working perfectly well for me.
A drop checker is barely accurate enough to be useful when you use pure water with a known KH in it. If you use tap water with lots of unknown stuff in unknown concentrations, the drop checker isn't worth the trouble. It won't give you a usable reading that way.

·
Registered
703 Posts
So you are saying that this mixture, which runs blue in my regular tank and turns a nice greenish yellow in my co2 tank (and plants/fish/algae levels all give me good reassurance) is useless? I can appreciate this point of view from the perfectionist and no doubt your experience on tech tanks is far beyond mine, but I can't help but think it works well enough for the more casual aquarist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.