The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm in the planning stages of my first planted tank, and I wanted to use quartz clusters in lieu of hardscape stones since I have a few I've collected. Like this guy for example:

I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea but I think it could be kind of surreal and pretty.

Question is, is there any reason I shouldn't? I'm not planning on having fish, just inverts so torn fins shouldn't be a problem. I did enough research to determine quartz is inert and aquarium-safe, but I was wondering if you could think of unforeseen complications I may have missed in my inexperience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've used quartz before and loved it. I think you could make an almost mystical looking scape using pieces like that. They don't tend to collect algae any more or less than any other pieces used in hard scapeing in my experience.
Anyway if you use it for awhile and get tired of it, you can always just redo your scape. It's fun to try new stuff.
Please post pics of what you come up with!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I live in an area loaded with quartz crystal. Its laying around our house everywhere. I've thought about using it in the past to make a fantasy scape but lacked any real ambition for it.

Please do post pics if you decide to use lots of quartz. I'd be interested to see how it turns out!
The specimen shown above looks great!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think using quartz as a hardscape would be great, it would look so cool if you are going to use led lights. Will be waiting for any updates on how it turns out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quartz crystals are great! You should totally do it. The color probably won't come through very much though if you get colored quartz (or at least the light-medium colored quartz in my tank all just looks clear even against black sand) so don't stress out too much about the colors. And post pics if you do use them!

OOOH, if you could back light the quartz clusters. Coooooool.
There are rocks that fluoresce under certain wavelengths of ultraviolet light (fluorite comes to mind) which would look sweet but fluorite is CaF2 and so would probably affect water hardness if you have soft water. Sadly I don't think quartz usually fluoresces.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Do you have a piece in mind? Post some pictures of what you have in mind.

I think quartz would look best in sand. Good contrast. Gravel would look... off.

Would it be too tacky to do a full translucent tank? Madagascar lace? Glass cats?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.