The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made my first purchase on Aquabid for 25 cardinal tetras. They are $5 a piece locally and i got them for $1 a piece on AB. The lady I bought them from said the shipment will be arriving Monday and she will ship them to me the same day. I was going to QT them in my planted 29G but I dont want to risk all my invertebrates and plecos with fish that have been shipped around. Will it be possible to QT them in a 10G with a bunch of established media from my 180G? I have two massive sponge filters I keep in the sump just for this reason. I know 25 1" tetras is a lot for a 10G but would it be possible with daily 50% water changes? Any advice/tips will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
It sounds like you've got your bases covered with media from an established tank and daily pwcs. Good luck. How long do you plan to quarantine them?

Julia

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
At petco and petsmart they live in a ten gallon anyway.
centralized filter system and exactly how long do you believe any fish actually survives in a chain store tank? hahaha

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I once QT 35 x .5 -.75 inch Neon tetras in a 10 gallon, was heavenly planted. Only lost 1 in the 3 week QT period. Felt sorry for the little fish, but now they live in my 75 gal.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I would be a little concerned that the person you are buying them from off of Aquabid is shipping them back out to you the same day as they receive them without quarantining them themselves first. That is a lot of transit time for fish if we are talking about them receiving them and then turning around and shipping them to you the same day. Are you getting them shipped overnight to you? Most reliable retailers quarantine the livestock themselves before shipping it out to third parties, not to say that it isn't a good idea for you to still quarantine them after you get them. I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think you will be fine as long as you do a decent sized water change every couple of days. Float some plants in there if you have any extra...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I do have a petco near me and I was considering buying a 40G breeder for $40 and switching the 29G inhabitants to the 40G. Its only 5 red phantom tetras, a pair of BN plecos, 4 loaches, two bamboo shrimps and a ton of plants and driftwood. I'm sure the lil wiggly loaches would love the larger foot print since they are so active!

I would be a little concerned that the person you are buying them from off of Aquabid is shipping them back out to you the same day as they receive them without quarantining them themselves first. That is a lot of transit time for fish if we are talking about them receiving them and then turning around and shipping them to you the same day. Are you getting them shipped overnight to you? Most reliable retailers quarantine the livestock themselves before shipping it out to third parties, not to say that it isn't a good idea for you to still quarantine them after you get them. I hope all goes well.
I was thinking the exact same thing... If they have just been shipped to them they need a couple weeks to settle in to their tanks before being shipped again. Maybe I should tell them to hold them for a week or two before I receive them. I'm in no hurry at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm still deciding on tell the seller to hold them for a couple weeks, taking my chance with losses and receiving them right away, and canceling the whole order and buying 3 pairs of GBRs for roughly the same price. Decisions Decisions lol. I know want them all eventually (and another 6 discus to add to my current collection) but in which order I'm not sure. I'll let everyone know what I decide :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.