The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This is my first post and it is a long one, sorry I have not found anything in searching that answers my questions in one post I may have missed it.

Okay, I understand the why of using a quaratine tank, so as not to introduce disease or parasities to your fish or plants, but I have run across different methods of using a quaratine tank.

For example: I have read posts were it is recommended to use a quarantine tank just observe new fish for problems,to acclimate plants or fish, or to isolate and treat a sick fish, and I have read posts were the quarantine process was used to medicate, worm, or treat fish that weren't showing any problems.:confused:

Now in the past I have not used a quarantine tank, but having just lost two of my angels to a fungus last month I am setting one up.:(

So who else uses a quarantine tank? what and why do you quarantine? how long do you quarantine? and last but not least what are you looking for?

Oh yeah...what does everybody use to bleach, sterilize, or clean tanks and equipment?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Dawn

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Dawn,

Well I currently have 2 quarantine tanks. 1 is used for new fish and they stay in there for about two weeks until they move to the permanent tank that they're going in to. All of my tanks are planted with the exception of the cichlid tank, so my quarantine tank is also planted. When I'm introducing new fish I look for the obvious - signs of illness, behavoir patterns and so forth. If I see an illness in the new fish, I plan accordingly (depending on illness), and do so in that quarantine tank ONLY. When the illness goes away, I'll move them to the 2nd tank for another two weeks and see how they do there. I will then de-medicate the 1st quarantine tank by using carbon, but first a water change is in order. I may be going overboard on the quarantine, but I had a nasty experience with quite a few expensive fish in the past...hence my paranoia.

Sterilizing a new tank is quite easy...nothing complicated about it. I've used boiling water in the past and a mixture of 1 part bleach to 20 parts water.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Dawn!

I use QT tanks for the very reasons you mentioned. I just use a standard 10g tank uness the fish are larger, then I use a large rubbermaid tub. I've been doing both for years without issue. I usually QT for at least a month, as it can take quite a while for certain things to show up. I also have a lot of silk plants that I use since they're so easily cleaned. To disinfect, I also use bleach method, and I've used salt soaks as well. Very sorry you had to find out the hard way about QT tanks. Especially with beautiful angels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.